PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyelander

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
I bought a new cob with my latest tobacco order. When I went to break it in I noticed the shank was inserted crooked and is turned so the draft hole is facing the inside wall of the pipe. The draw seems fine though. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem? I'm not sure if I should try to fix it or try smoking it and hope for the best. Also not sure if its worth contacting P&C over a corn cob pipe. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Contact P&C, they have awesome customer service and will make good on a new pipe. At least that was my experience when I picked up a Mark Twain MM from them and the stem fit so loose it would fall off simply by holding it straight. I called, they apologized and sent a new pipe out the same day.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Everything I've heard about P&C (I personally haven't ordered from them yet) is that their customer service is top-notch, so a return would probably be pretty easy, even if it is "just a cob".
If you've got the DIY bug you could try to level out the part of the stem that creates the draft hole in the bowl with an exacto knife or similar implement.
Your third option is the "wait-and-see" approach. Smoke it down to the bottom and see if the ember will do the work for you: it's not unheard of for that part of the stem to burn a little bit, thereby leveling itself, to an extent.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm sorry about your pipe. Just leave it sitting in tthe sun to warm up. Grab the bowl with one hand the stem with the other and twist. Its held together by Elmer's glue. Give it a clean, some new glue and insert the stem correctly. Let dry 24 hours and your good to go. I also like to run a small bead of glue around the bowl and stem like caulking a tub.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Call P&C and tell them the issue. No one should have to correct a problem on a pipe that is new. I had two cobs from P&C about month ago that had very loose stems. Told them the problem and they immediately sent out two new ones.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Most cob issues can be solved with Elmer's Wood Glue or clear nail polish but if the thing is new and you have the option AND, this is the most important and, you don't need a pipe to smoke right this second, send it back.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Most cob issues can be solved with Elmer's Wood Glue or clear nail polish...
I totally agree when it comes to some issue with a used cob. However, in my opinion there is no way that such measures should be taken or acceptable by a consumer when it involves a new pipe regardless of it's price.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I just bought a MM Cob for my dad to try pipe smoking. Things looked good unti I peered into the bowl. Seeing some white residue on portions of the bowl wall and a glob of yellow in front of the draw hole shank. I believe the glob looks to be wood glue? Residue not sure.
It's my second MM Cob purchase. The first one was perfect. Please let know what I'm looking at and how to fix it before I send off to my dad. Looking forward to the feedback!
Thanks, Donavan

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I just bought a MM Cob for my dad to try pipe smoking. Things looked good unti I peered into the bowl. Seeing some white residue on portions of the bowl wall and a glob of yellow in front of the draw hole shank. I believe the glob looks to be wood glue? Residue not sure.
It's my second MM Cob purchase. The first one was perfect. Please let know what I'm looking at and how to fix it before I send off to my dad. Looking forward to the feedback!
Thanks, Donavan

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Is the pipe smooth on the outside? I know MM uses a white plaster to give some of their pipes a smooth appearance, so it's possible that some got inside the bowl. I think you're correct about the yellow glob being wood glue. I would try to sand the bowl lightly to see if the stuff comes off.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Not a bad idea Eric. I'm thinking of using a scapel to cut out the glue.
Daniel if I go to the B&M I'll spend even more money! Lol. I'm kinda grounded from going, says the missus.

Technically I could order on line right? I didn't go to the actual B&M...

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
I had a similar issue, with one of my cobs, bit of glue and the shank end was a little wonky.. I just cut it down. didn't remove it but cut it back a little. smokes fine. other guys I've read, cut it out entirely and pipe mud the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.