PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
A recent shipment I received from Rich at 4noggins contained a free sample of a tobacco called "Imagine". This weekend I opened that little pouch, packed some in a pipe, and lit it up. I almost choked. It had this terrible scent and stench that just didn't agree with me in the least. This is the first time I have ever dumped a bowl. I immediately googled the blend, only to see that it contains something called Deertongue. I'm not sure if it was the deer's tongue, or something from the hind end of the same animal, but I will be avoiding that component from here on in. I have cleaned that pipe three times now, with copious quantities of alcohol, but I can still notice that smell. Briarbid may be next on the list, lol.
That said, I did enjoy all of the other generous samples Rich has sent over the last many orders. But this deertongue stuff . . . yech

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Ah, glad I found a like mind. I've had the same experience and gave away a few lovingly composed and otherwise probably very good samples containing just 'a touch of deertongue'. Can't stand the stuff, it clings to your nostrils like cat's pee...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A sparing portion of deer tongue is supposed to impart a sweet vanilla flavor to a smoke. I wouldn't

expect much from plant leaves or parts other than tobacco to be a great idea, in terms of flavor or

advisability. I might try it, once. It doesn't sound inviting, from your description.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
And today I learned what Deertongue is, a lettuce that is supposed to taste like vanilla and will definitely ghost your pipes. Thanks peck! Oh, and thanks for the images of real pickled deer's tongues I now can't unsee.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'm not a fan of Deer Tongue either. I tried some Crooner and wasn't to fond of it.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
Same situation here with Crooner. I think it's the only stuff from C&D I've ever thrown away.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I had a similar reaction to deer tongue. My son was laughing at my facial expressions, while I tried to smoke it. after 1/4" of the bowl, dump.
Winton

Dec 24, 2012
I can't tell you how vile it was. This occurred at 9am Sunday morning. I was in my office, and the wife walked in to see me taking a chug from a bottle of bourbon I happened to have in my desk drawer - it was the only thing I had to drink to kill that deertongue taste and I didn't care if it was 9am.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, I happen to like the stuff. For any of you who smoked Half & Half many years ago, it had deer tongue in it. I'm not familiar with "Imagine" but I do smoke C&D's Gentleman Caller when the sweet tooth calls. It does ghost a pipe so I dedicate a Stanwell Golden Danish to the blend.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
It's a shame that Half and Half no longer includes a small amount of deer tongue. But, I understand as it is very expensive and hard to come by according to C&D. A little bit goes a very long way. I also enjoy Gentleman Caller by C&D and also dedicate two pipes to that blend. Nothing will ghost your pipe like deer tongue. Therefore, it is a very good idea to dedicate a pipe to your deer tongue blend if you smoke it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I enjoy H&H Capitol Steps, with deertongue. I think it has a sort of menthol flavor.
Okay, that's a good description, I was curious to try it but eeeewww, menthol. Thank you. It's not for me.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I love this blend #104 Crooner

Specially cut cube Burley and deer tongue. An authentic copy from one of Bing's friends who blended it with him.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't think the Deer's Tongue lettuce is the same as the Deer's Tongue used in tobacco (maybe the same plant relatives). But it is supposedly just a vanilla flavor.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
My go to blend many years ago was a cube cut Burley with a little added Deer tongue from the Tinderbox.
Later I switched to a blend called Sweet Oriental from Rich's Cigar store in Portland, Ore. This did not contain any Deer tongue, but I asked Steve Books if he could add some to the blend for me as I thought it might make an interesting variation. Steve was kind enough to do that and indeed, it did add a certain light sweetness and dessert like quality for a nice change of pace.
Later Craig Tarler sent me a little Deer Tongue along with a tobacco order and I'm sorry to say it was awful.
The initial impression was the same somewhat vanilla scent, but that was quickly overwhelmed by a strong soapy quality that was very unpleasant.
All I can say is there must be different sources for the herb and they are not all the same!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Deer-Tongue is a condiment to be used sparingly. Done that way it is delightful in a good blend of Virginia and Burley. When I say sparingly, I am suggesting only 1/16th! That is plenty.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Miniscule quantities of deertongue give tobacco an ineffable, spicy-sweet nuance.

The real problem is most blends use way too much! YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TASTE IT -- ONLY ITS INFLUENCE ON THE TOBACCO.

If a chef used a comparable quantity of sage or thyme in food we'd find that objectionable too.
By coincidence, I just mixed a 1oz. batch of 5100 with Turkish, Perique and deertongue.

I used a literal pinch of deertongue between my thumb and forefinger -- so slight I honestly thought it would have no effect. Pixie dust.

After a thorough mixing and 1 day of rest it is so good it defies description. Just thinking about it makes me want to beat-off.

It wouldn't be that way without the deertongue.
H&H Capitol Stairs comes the closest to using deertongue correctly, IMO.

But Russ should reduce the amount by 90% in order to perfect the blend.
BTW, I can't prove it, but I'd swear that PS/Luxury Twist Flake has a vanishingly small quantity of deertongue in it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Killer thread.
I've smoked C&D's Gentleman Caller and liked it immensely.
Love deertongue or not, I've enjoyed everybody's opinions.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.