PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I love my English, but C&D Crooner is awesome... I was scared of deertongue, from the reviews, but Wow, very nice smoke... I dedicated a pipe to deertongue like everyone said, but my cheap pipe might be my fav now, just for the blend... It will move up into one of my good pipes..... What a great smoke!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am glad you took the chance. I like it also. It is not an everyday thing, but there are times when there is an itch and only crooner will scratch it.
I always smoke it in a cob. I don't want to ghost my pipes with it, just in case it falls out of favor down the road.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I also love this blend. I have to agree with wyfbane , this is not an everyday smoke for me. But it is great and packs a punch too.

Dec 24, 2012
There should be a law that any estate pipe that has touched deer tongue should be immediately destroyed and should not be allowed on the secondary market.
All in favor, say Aye.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There should be a law that any estate pipe that has touched deer tongue should be immediately destroyed and should not be allowed on the secondary market.
That's how I feel about Latakia pipes. Old Latakia ghosts smell like ammonia.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
You're older than I am, and I like it. :rofl:
I'm young at heart though.
On a serious note though, I'm not a burley fan, and they pair it with burley all the time. Burley makes my mouth hurt, and the roof of my mouth get sores from burley. So that probably has something to do with it too. Anything above a condimental level will do this to me.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
I get a sort of herbal apple spice along with nuttiness in the background. Love the stuff. New Market is a Cavendish/Virginia blend with deertongue that's not bad but I still like Crooner better.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
get a sort of herbal apple spice along with nuttiness in the background. Love the stuff. New Market is a Cavendish/Virginia blend with deertongue that's not bad but I still like Crooner better.
I'll give it a try.
I also see Engine #382 has it too.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Let me know what you think. Deertongue endears a sense of old-timiness to me. Guess that's the root of my enjoying it.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm a little surprised no one's brought this up, as I know there are folks who frequent this board that know this ...
Deer Tongue was commonly used as a condiment in pipe tobacco, particularly American blends, up until the early 1990s. Carter Hall, for example, contained Deer Tongue as a condiment. The predominant flavoring in Deer Tongue is coumarin, which as an extract itself was used as a flavoring in pipe tobacco and cigarettes. I'm not certain whether Captain Black (Regular) contained Deer Tongue per se, but CB used a pretty heavy amount of coumarin to contribute to its vanilla flavoring (these figures used to be more easily found via search engine than they are now).
Coumarin is mildly toxic to the kidneys and liver, was banned in the US in the mid 1950s as a food additive; big tobacco stopped using it as a flavoring in cigarettes in the mid 1980s and manufacturers of OTC blends more or less stopped using it as a flavoring in the early 1990s (though, supposedly, the unmodified form of coumarin occurring naturally in Deer Tongue is less harmful).
Anyone who knows about this in greater detail care to chime in? :puffy:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A friend off the forums sent me a blend their B&M came up with, a burley blend with deertongue. It is called BU-Kake. It is fantastic. It reminds me of the smell of the really old pipe shops where the smell has really penetrated the wooden walls. I love smoking it in my car and now need to try the more readily available deertongue blends. It took me a few bowls to love it, but now it is nearly gone and I need more of this in my life. I don't care how bad it is for me, please list your favorite blends if there are more beyond crooner and Gentleman Caller. I can dig through previous posts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.