PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I've never had it but I do have a tin of C&D Crooner sealed up. I was wondering if anyone ever adds it to a blend? I see it's sold on Amazon for $4/oz. Are there any other herbs used to flavor tobaccos?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From Forums posts I've read, it doesn't sound appealing. There's a ghosting problem (imparting its flavor

on subsequent non-deer tongue blends). For this sort of flavoring herb, I think 4 oz would last the rest of

your life. But you may hear from deer tongue folks who really love the stuff.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I tried C&D Trinidad that with deer tougue and several other ingredents I enjoy. My son really enjoyed the expresson on my face when I lit it the first time. It is hard to express how foul it tasted. I forced myself to smoke 1/4" of the pipe before I purged if from the cob.
Sorry, this is not for me. Perhaps you might enjoy it. Actually, post of video of when you first taste it.
Winton

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I bought a tin of Gentleman Caller a couple weeks ago and a MM cob to smoke it.

I like it fine.

It smells just like White Christmas here at my house.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
It doesn't seem too many people rave about it, but I'll try anything once. I have a cob on its last leg I reserve for new to me blends that I'll probably use to try the deer tongue because of the ghosting issue. To clarify amazon sells a 1oz. bag for $4, still may be a lifetime supply. I'm not even really sure if it's a smokeable quality product. It's description from Amazon says it's for voodoo and witchcraft. Lol.

Just thought maybe trying the $4 sample might be good enough to know not to open the Crooner and try to pawn it off. Haha

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Crooner isn't bad and neither is Deer Tongue. It's a love it or hate it thing just like Tonquin is for the Lakeland blends. I'm not a huge fan of either but Crooner has its devotees and it's worth trying if you've never had it. Use a cheap mini cob and you won't ghost your good pipes.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Do you use tobacco blending specific deer tongue or the voodo/witchcraft type available for cheaper?

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I use it in my VaPer mix. I must be an oddball because I use 7% in my mix that contains about 53% Virginia Brightleaf and about 40% Perique. It is very tasty. Less than 7% doesn't give much taste. I buy mine from Penn Herb. I don't know about ghosting because I only smoke Meers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There are are least two varieties of deertongue. I wouldn't try smoking the stuff from Amazon.

Like Arno665 said, used in extremely small quantities it can be an elusive flavor enhancement.

Personally, I would consider a 1% addition to be on the high side -- just too noticeable for me.
I've mixed a pinch with about 6 oz. of 5100 and let it sit for 6 months. It added a wonderful flavor.

I guess some folks like to find a hot dog in their mustard. Ease into this stuff to see how much you can tolerate.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Gentleman Caller form C&D is my favorite deer tongue blend. It reminds me of the original Half&Half in the early 1970's. It will ghost a pipe so I dedicate a Stanwell Golden Danish for it. I understand that C&D sor of cornered the market on this herb so I'm not surprised that other blending houses don't feature it.

Status
Not open for further replies.