Deer Jerky Recipes

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shaintiques
  • Latest reply from krizzose
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just put a whole deer loin thinly sliced in a bag to marinade. Marinade is 2 parts Very Very Teriyaki and one part Buffalo Trace Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. It will go in the dehydrator tomorrow to take on my hike on the AT. Anybody have any good jerky recipes?

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. But, I do have a couple of good/popular recipes for mead.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never had meade but am interested to try some. I don't really like beer, but love hard cider.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. redinthehead

Evan

Login to Send PM

Would you possibly share your recipes for mead, Lawrence? Always wanted to try making it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honey wine is very different than other wines and nothing like beer.
    However, it can be dry or sweet to varying degrees depending on your recipe.

This one is much demanded/begged for around here.

'Jamaican Red" Metheglin
    Ingredients:
     1-3/4 gallons water
     3.5 lbs honey (4-2/3 cups) (I used Sue Bee Clover because it has a neutral honey flavor.)
     1-1/2 cups of dried Hibiscus flowers (flor de Jamaica) *
     2 tsp. of Yeast Nutrient
     36 lightly crushed Raisins
     1 pkg. Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
    Directions:
    1. 1-1/2 cups of dried Hibiscus flowers steeped in 1 quart of water for 30 minutes.
    a. Step 5: Strain out all of the flowers while adding the agua de Jamaica to Must.
    2. Combine 1-1/2 gallons water and 4-2/3 cups honey in large stainless pot.
    3. Raise temperature to approximately 180° for 15 minutes and skim off all of the scum.
    4. Dissolve 2 teaspoons of Yeast Nutrient in honey/water.
    5. Cool until “blood-warm” and add Hibiscus Tea. (Taste a spoon full of the Must. Resist the temptation to pour a glass full over ice!!!!)
    6. Hydrate yeast according to instructions on the packet, and then pitch the yeast.
    7. Mix very-very well
    8. Crush 36 raisins and put half in each 1 gallon glass Carboy
    9. Using a small diameter funnel (helps to aerate Must as you pour it into each Carboy) alternate 2 cups of Must into each carboy until all of the Must is in the Carboys. Stir Must every couple of minutes to keep the yeast suspended. This will help keep the yeast evenly distributed to each fermentor. Try to keep the volume even in each Carboy. (Alternating two cups here two cups there… helps to keep Must consistent in each 1 gallon carboy)
    There is no need to top-off the carboys until first racking.
    The Must will begin to ferment almost immediately. (I had bubbles within 5 minutes of affixing the bubble locks.) The bubble rate will climb rapidly over the next 24 hours. Mine reached 60 bubbles per minute in just 24 hours.
    After mild foaming stops (24 hours after pitching) gently swirl the Must in each Carboy to rinse off any remaining foam that has adhered to the carboy above the Must. (Just to make it look better while it's fermenting, and to keep all the good stuff in the Must. This will produce very clean tasting and very clear Mead with beautiful red coloration.
    From here on just play it by ear.
    Add some water at the first racking to raise level to the neck of the Carboy.
    Age your Mead for a few weeks (give or take) and bottle when you think it's ready.
    Makes 2 gallons, or 10ea. 750ml bottles.

* Dried Hibiscus flowers can be purchased at your local Mexican Grocery Store. They are called: flor de Jamaica (pronounced: Hă-măi’-ka), and makes agua de Jamaica or Hibiscus tea. I don’t recommend buying dried Hibiscus flowers on the internet. The prices I have seen are three times the cost plus shipping. For this batch I paid $2.25 for a quarter pound. That is enough to make eight or ten gallons of Mead.

Edit: Sorry. It wasn't my intent to hijack your string, only to poke a little fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well the jerky is done, took about 10 hours to set up, super tasty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. redinthehead

Evan

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much Lawrence! Definitely something my family wants to try.

How did the jerky turn out shaintiques?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is awesome! Super flavorful! Now if I can keep from eating it pre-hike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sounds like good jerky! I love that stuff!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chispa

chispa

Login to Send PM

Soy sauce

Worcestershire

Liquid smoke -hickory

Black pepper

Classic jerky base. After marinade over night spread on the racks you can spice each tray.

<<insert witty signature here>>
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. But, I do have a couple of good/popular recipes for mead.

I'd like to get that from you, if you don't mind. I've wanted to give that a whirl for awhile but don't trust the recipes I can google, I prefer something that's tried and tested from someone I'm a bit more familiar with than "TheMadMeadmaker" from a websearch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be my guest. That's one reason I posted it...
    It really is particularly good and doesn't take 6 months.
    It'll be good to bottle after first rack (give or take 60 days total time.)

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I feel silly:) I guess I paged down and didn't see where you'd posted the recipe

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. krizzose

krizzose

Login to Send PM

I've had good success smoking the jerky for about 2 or 3 hours at around 250 degrees, then finishing it in my oven set at 200 for another 7 or 8 hours. I like it very dry.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sw0snuff3r, mrjerke, simnettpratt, cobguy, huntertrw, bigsby, landon, jiminks, soymilkisgood, allan, danthesmokinman, sugarcane1, woodsroad, anthonyrosenthal74, buster, jd11, briarfriar, trailboss, tbradsim1, daimyo, judcole, elpfeife, stoneheart, msandoval858