PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Revisiting Ozark Mountain.
After finding out my Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain pipe was Birch instead of Cherry I still bought another. It has a nice big bowl and was an inexpensive pipe for my rotation. (which consists of using a pipe all day and then letting it rest for a long time) After a few uses, the bowl came loose. The bowl loosened on the first one and was easily repaired so I didn't flinch much. I like to tinker anyway.
Today, however, I went back to the first one I purchased and had real issues. I was smoking some Bright Leaf I just bought, this is a Virginia and burns hot. It was also a cold day and I was smoking even more quickly than usual. When the bowl was spent it was smoking still. Figured the shank was finishing burning off and just thought I would mud the bottom and maybe smear honey in the sides of the bowl later.
When I went to inspect it later I saw that deep fissures had burnt in the bowl above the airway.
So I don't like the Ozark Mountain line so much now. Still, I love to tinker and making this pipe "my own" by repairing it appeals to me.
What can I fill these fissures with besides pipe mud?

Status
Not open for further replies.