PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Last week I asked about Three Nuns not knowing the content. Just smoked my first bowl and found if delicious!
Any other suggestions of Dark Fired?

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I second the Jack Knife Plug. I'm not a huge fan of dark fired Kentucky, but when I am in the mood, I turn to JKP. Just a warning, it is pretty high in nic, but that's something I like about it.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Jackknife Plug.
I'm halfway through my first tin and it's sort of mysterious to me. I've tried in a few different pipes, different sizes and aspect ratios, and maybe once every ten puffs I get this amazing, dark, smoky note. But the overriding note is spice, weirdly, so much so that I tried smoking it out of a pipe that never sees perique. But it was still spicy, not really in the perique way, but more in the way that a good cigar can be spicy. Anyway, I really like the blend, but I feel I've got a lot of technique refining to do to make the smoke more consistent to me. I've tried cutting into flakes of various sizes and fully rubbing it out, but maybe the old fold & stuff will work better for me.
So try Jackknife Plug.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think Jackknife and Old Dark Fired are the two best out there right now. I've heard good things about the reincarnation of Three Nuns but have yet to try it. So, I guess I will just second everyone else's recommendation above. :)
On a different note, has anyone tried the Drew Estates Muwat? The dark fired Kentucky they use in the blend is excellent. I was pretty skeptical that this line of cigars would be good but they hit a home run.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
MacBaren claims their "special cavendish" is dark-fired. It makes its home in several blends including the roll cakes. I find that to be civil. If you're more sporting, it is half or even all of other blends such as HH old dark fired. I see it popping up alot these days in new blends. Look to SG& G&H for dark fired guns of a different caliber. Like 50BMG

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
Triple Play and JKP are great smokes, as well as McB ODF. Coming from many years of cigar smoking, whenever I smoke these I ask myself why was I missing something so good.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are many blends with Dark-Fired KY to smoke:
Cumberland

Navigator

Old Dark-Fired

Dark Flake (Malawi DF, and very different)

Silver Flake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's good dark-fired is coming to the fore, though I think it has been around for many years, right?

It empowers a blend without necessarily knocking your hat off.

kevchriss

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Carmel, IN
Does dark fired taste like Latakia? I just tried some Irish Flake that is flue cured and dark fired and I think I taste a faint hint of Latakia.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Just about finished my second tin of 3 Nuns. Going to order more for the cellar.
Right now, I'm on a 3 Nuns, Sillem's Black and Weybridge binge. Been smoking the three all weekend and I'm in nirvana.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@kevchriss. Dark Fired Kentucky has some of the same qualities as Latakia, like its earthy and smokey overtones, but they are completely different tobaccos. I would most definitely recommend Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired to really get to know Kentucky Dark fired tobacco.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I agree with all the comments about ODF. I buy it in bulk by the pound from Cup O' Joes - they manage to get it to me here in the UK with no hassles (so far - cross fingers!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.