PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
New to pipe smoking, but so far thoroughly enjoying the experience. Quick question about deep cleaning - I have been reading online about using grain alcohol to clean after 3-5 uses. Living in California and all it's wonderful laws (cough)...I am unable to purchase Everclear or anything that is that high in alcohol. What would be your advise? Is vodka acceptable? Should be mixed with an aromatic liqueur? Much of the research I have read says to not use Isopropyl alcohol. I understand there are commercial products available, just looking for something I can control more.
Thank you in advance to the advise!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Everybody has their own way to clean. I use hot water after every smoke, no need for "deep cleaning" ever.

Jan 8, 2013
Any high proof alcohol will do, preferably over 90. Just know that some spirits (such as rum) will impart a scent or flavor, although after a smoke or two that should be gone. I use a 151 rum, but I'm guessing you can't get that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hot water flush for me, and like Ben, no need to use alcohol on a pipe unless it's really skanky. Some have advised that overuse of alcohol (on pipes as well as gentle folk) is deleterious to the briar. Definitely not isopropyl alcohol, and certainly not rubbing alcohol.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Every 3 to 5 uses seems way too frequent to me. At that rate, the alcohol would wash out the oils and organic goodies that account for the flavor that a well seasoned briar can impart. I think 30 to 50 uses would be better, provided that you run a pipe cleaner or two through the stem and shank after every smoke.
On "deep" cleanings I use isopropyl alcohol without any problems.

I empty ashes, and stick the bowl under running hot water till it flushes out through the stem. Then wipe the bowl with a paper towel, and run a pipe cleaner through it. Wipe the stummel with a dry rag, buff the stem with a polishing cloth. Then I return it to the rack, clean and sparkling like it was a slightly used new pipe. YMMV. But, I don’t have to do a deep clean. I may have to still trim the cake back every now and then, no need for alcahol, which is just as hard to get in Alabama.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not long ago, I made a mistake when I was removing the factory pre-carbonation out of chamber,I was using 100% pure pharmacy Acetone,(I was in a hurry and not paying attention) those pipes were quite an expensive NOS flame Grain Stanwells,now,all went pretty nice until the moment I load and fire em up for the first smoke, despite the fact I had left those pipes to air overnight the taste was acrid and something chemically alike,then had to go twice with alcohol and salt treatments + multiple bowls plain burleys,resulting that today those pipes perform more or less satisfactory,,, Lesson learned-Me and Pipes still alive.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Don't believe 85% of what you read on the internet.

Deep cleaning isn't required for a long while. Some old guys that have smoked for 50 years still never have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.