PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have just begun to smoke my newest acquisition which has a much deeper bowl than any I have tried so far. It smokes beautifully, but both times I have smoked it I have had to leave a good deal of un-smoked tobacco at the bottom of the bowl. Even though I am using longer matches, the match just goes out way down there before I can get the stuff lit. Both times I ended up giving up. I of course save the precious stuff and smoke it in a smaller bowl. Is there a solution to this? Do I need to switch to a lighter? I have only used matches so far.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Would you be able to provide a depth estimate? If you placed finger into chamber would it go to first knuckle, second, third? Elbow? :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My take is that really deep bowls -- and I think 2.48 would qualify -- do best for smaller cut loose tobacco that burns fairly fast, or at least not slow. My deepest bowled pipes burn evenly and well, and without too much dottle. Don't worry about some dottle; it's served its purpose as a bed for the burned tobacco and as a filter of flavor, so it isn't wasted. A medium standard size bowl can give a long smoke with flake or plug, however folded, rubbed out, or otherwise burned, so you don't need a deep bowl for most of that.

I smoke stacks and chimneys everyday. I just use a lighter, and hold it about a quarter of an inch above the rim, and draw the flame down to the tobacco. You don't have to actually get the flame all the way down the chamber. The heat is enough to get the tobacco lit. But, I don't see why a match couldn't do this also. Just don't stick the match down the chamber. If you do that, the lack of oxygen supply to the flame would choke it out.
Back in the old days, guys would just hold a lit ember or coal above their pipe, not letting it touch the rim, and draw the heat down to ignite the tobacco. So, I would think that a match would work. But, I don't have much experience with matches. Maybe, they aren't suitable for pipes. :wink:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I tend to dry my tobacco a bit longer when smoking a large bowl or use one of my chimneys; lighters are also much easier and no weird taste with my new butane lighter.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I find a bic lighter will always help me out towards the bottom, but also dump some of the ash and stir it up to get the bottom stuff.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Just me but I'd get a lighter. I found matches to be a pain in the butt. I ended up with more burnt fingers then lit tobacco....but that's just me. :)

Propane-torch2-500.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I find a bic lighter will always help me out towards the bottom, but also dump some of the ash and stir it up to get the bottom stuff.
When I did use a Bic in the beginning of my pipe smoking I found it burned the crap out of my fingers trying to get the last bit of leaf to light.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BKI4IA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adjustable, soft flame butane, refillable, order, thank me.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Check out Djeep lighters. They're a bit more in.cost than a Bic. Butane, not refillable. Almost the same size as a Zippo. My local tobacco shop has them right near the register. The grocery store only has Bics. Your thumb stays away from the flame, even when you invert the lighter.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with MSO489. Use loosely dense tobacco that has a good burn rate, don't pack it tight. Long matches or the lighters others recommend will solve that problem.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Watch the light as you insert it down into the bowl. When you've gone too far you'll see it start to struggle to stay lit. Back up a bit and suck the flame to the tobacco. But a pipe with a 2.5" inch deep chamber is perhaps needing something more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My favorite 'baccy in a deep bowl is Tobac Manil Semois, a burley variant that comes quite dry anyway, and burns fast but evenly. My several deep bowls are perfect for this leaf. A Forums member who gave me a whole package of Semois also sent a beautiful deep-bowl pipe. What a pairing!

May 31, 2012
I only have a couple of deep bowls that cause lighting issues toward the bottom,

but when I do relight them, I use this:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anybody-here-ever-use-an-electromatch-to-light-their-pipe

and it works a really good charm!
:puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Cosmic gave me the same advice about not letting flame touch the tobacco. Works like a charm. I think kitchen matches is the best way to get a bowl going - unless you happen to be camping, then embers are the coolest way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.