PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willh

Lurker
Jul 16, 2010
Great article, Bob. I'm definitely of the Semi-Dedicated camp. How about you? You never said, unless I overlooked that part... which is completely possible.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the article, Bob. I'm a no-dedicator guy, but my tendencies in tobacco selection serve to put me in a genre-dedication spot by default. All my pipes end up being "no heavy Latakia", and no "artificial aromatics" (the poly-phenol-tetra-doodle-poop aros). (LOL)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think I fall in the "No & Genre" categories.

I usually smoke only Latakia blends or straight latakia in my Sherlock and Watson meers, as well as my gourd calabashes.

But, otherwise I'm a "No".

I seem to mix it up pretty good on everything else.
I enjoyed that Bob... Thankx

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Great presentation of the concept Bob. For me, the issue is effectively addressed

by routine cleaning of my Meerschaums, with a few exceptions. Some blends will

ghost any Pipe for what can be a long time. This can be an issue with Estate

Pipes... You're going to find out if the last guy smoked Condor and getting this

out of a Meerschaum can be a lengthy affair. Some blends require the dedication

of a Pipe, if flavor carryover is to be avoided.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Until recently I was a Strict Dedication fella, however...a friend in Florida sent me some Black Irish Twist. I bought 6 pipes off E-bay after I decided I liked the stuff. Still Strict Dedicated. I bought a pipe from another fella and he sent along some 5 Bros. and University Flake. The 5 Bros. left here after about 1/8 bowl but the UF stayed. Another 6 pipes and still Strict Dediaction.

Then I discovered FVF and the Strict Dedication went out the window. Some Old Dublin to go along with my 5110, some Condor and St. Bruno from England, some 2015 and 1792, some PA and CH, some witches brew from a friend in England plus my own experiments with cigar leaf and I have become a Genre Dedicated fellow.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
willh wrote: I thought that meers didn't hold flavors like briar.
For the most part this is true, as long as you clean the Pipe routinely.

Still, some blends such as Condor, St Bruno Flake, Errinmore and any blend

with Deer Tongue in it will leave residual taste in the Block that requires

time to flush it. All Pipes are filters and will retain residual taste

to a greater or lesser degree, depending upon how much of a blend has been

burned in a Pipe, how often the Pipe is diligently cleaned, the type of material

that the Pipe is made of and the Pipe smoker's own smoking style and character.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the article.
----------
Willh Said: How about you? You never said, unless I overlooked that part...
I didn't say in the article. I did originally say it, but then I took that part out as I didn't want people to think that I was playing favoritism to one of the groups, lol.
I am a genre dedication smoker. I have a number of pipes dedicated to each of the genres. I break it down into these categories for my pipe dedication:
English/Balkan Blends (basically any blend that contains Latakia)
Virginia and VA/Per Blends (I am thinking about separating the 2 and having some pipes dedicated to VA blends and some pipes dedicated to VA/Per blends)
Aromatic Blends (I have 2 pipes dedicated to Cherry blends & I have 1 pipe dedicated to Lakeland blends)
I don't dedicate my cobs or meerschaum pipes and use them mainly for aromatic and Lakeland blends.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
chuckw said Some Old Dublin to go along with my 5110...

You actually like that stuff? I have tin of it and don't know what to do with it. I won't smoke it, though... ICK! Just shows how everyone's tastes are different.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.