PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
So I've watched many YouTube videos since I started on my pipe journey and noticed quite a few guys seem to dedicate a pipe to a certain blend. Does the shape and size of a pipe work well with a specific blend or is it a matter of personal preference?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I believe the shape and size of the pipe certainly plays a role in how a blend smokes and tastes. I mainly just dedicate Pipes to genres rather than blends, however, I have a couple exceptions, I dedicate three different briars to Condor and two different Pipes to St. Bruno and I have a few pipes that are just filthy whores that smoke anything that comes their way.

Jan 8, 2013
Does the shape and size of a pipe work well with a specific blend
I believe the shape and size of the pipe itself has little effect if any. The size and shape of the tobacco chamber, on the other hand does.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Most of the pipes which I acquired new are dedicated to my preferred non-aromatic, non-scented tobaccos like VA, VAPer and VAPerBur blends. Estates that had been obviously used for aromatics stay dedicated to aromatics. Englishes occasionally sneak into my VA pipes. VAs sometimes sneak into my aromatic pipes. I also have a couple pipes dedicated to Condor, GH Westmorland, Peterson Irish Flake, Samuel Gawith twists, and St. Bruno. Those are my best-smelling pipes, BTW.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I kind of dedicate pipes to genres, not blends. Mostly, because I don't have a large collection of pipes... yet.
I'm not too concerned about ghosting from aromatics, but I am from latakia blends and, of course, Lakelands. I'd dedicate a pipe to Lakelands.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
My pipes are dedicated to certain genres. Has nothing to do with shape or size for me. It’s just how they become. I have cobs that I’ll run anything through, but I’m more deliberate when it comes to straight Virginia’s, English, Va/per/bur’s, and especially Aro’s. This is a unique and organic hobby.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just dedicated my first pipe unknowingly after learning that MIxture No. 79 ghosts pipes. I thought it was just an old aromatic codger blend, but apparently it is also a sort of U.S. blended Lakelands aromatic in terms of the flavor staying in a pipe. So my MM cob with tortoise shell Forever stem is now dedicated to 79 and any other ghostly blends I may try. Who knew?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I only dedicate pipes to blends that leave a ghost. So I have one for 1792 Flake and one for Mac Barens Classic Flake. I'll sometimes smoke that one in one of my other pipes, 'cause that particular ghost is actually quite friendly.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've been dedicating pipes to specific genres or individual blends for most of my smoking life. I have a few test pipes, and a couple "catch all" pipes, but no matter the size, weight, inner mechanics or manufacturer, I find my way works best for me. If a blend doesn't work as I thought it would in one pipe, I try another. You only learn what tobacco works in which pipe by effort, and I find that to be part of the hobby experience.
Given all of that, I did dedicate a cob to Lakelands. I hate to ghost pipes.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I dedicate to genres as well. Latakia , Virginia, vaper and Lakeland’s.

I have a burley pipe but I will smoke Virginia’s in it. this pipe just loves haunted bookshop. I won’t step in the way of love

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've commissioned pipes for favorite blends to get an unpolluted taste from them. The rest of my pipes are genre specific.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Now, with Lakelands, do you have to dedicate a pipe to each blend? So far, I've only bought/smoked Ennerdale, but I wanna try others and I'm wondering if Lakeland ghosts play nice with each other.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Now, with Lakelands, do you have to dedicate a pipe to each blend?
Yep. Ennerdale, Rich Dark Honeydew, Grasmere, Glengarry, and Conniston never see the same pipe. That is of course unless I mix them together for the occasional Lakeland bomb. I consider them each different and falling into different genres.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Almost 100% of my pipes are dedicated to genre. There are a few that are smoked with a particular blend all of the time like Bohemian Scandal and Penzance.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I believe the shape and size of the pipe itself has little effect if any. The size and shape of the tobacco chamber, on the other hand does
The shape of the pipe itself plays a large part in the shape of the chamber.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The shape of the pipe itself plays a large part in the shape of the chamber.
That's not necessarily true. Most of my non Dublin pipes have conical chambers though there's plenty of briar there to have made them cylindrical.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No dedicated pipes here. Diff strokes, diff folks.
I have about 30 pipes I love, and another 50 I like, and some 20 I should get rid of (one day).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's not necessarily true. Most of my non Dublin pipes have conical chambers though there's plenty of briar there to have made them cylindrical
Billiard = tall and narrow,

Squat Bulldog = shallow and average

Pot = tall and wide or shallow and wide but I've never seen a narrow Pot... would kind of defeat the purpose, no?

Danish = wide and deep.
I like conical shapes in my chambers but I don't have many. The only ones that I have are either the ones I've made for myself or my Savinelli's. I'm not saying that all shapes dictate the chamber characteristics but a lot of times they do, at least in my 100 plus collection of pipes, I've certainly noticed a trend. All of my Dublins have cylindrical shaped chambers that I would place in the billiard category. Actually now that I think about it, one of my Savinelli pipes is a Dublin shape and it has a conical chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.