PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
So I know I want to dedicate at least one if not two of my pipes to Escudo. Or maybe one pipe to VaPers, and one solely to Escudo. I'm currently trying it in several different pipes to find the best match for it. I know we've already established many times over that there's a huge Escudo fan base on the forums, so I've got a question for all the Escudo aficionados:
What is your favorite pipe for Escudo? Is it a specific size / shape? Or do you just "grab & stuff" any pipe that seems right? Please share as much as you can about why you think the pipe works so well with the blend. Feel free to share pictures!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
When it comes to Escudo there is no right or wrong choosing a pipe for my smoking pleasure. It's not rocket science. Stuff, light and puff slowly for a great bowl of flavor and relaxation.

:D

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I happen to love Escudo in a really old H&B cob I have. I'm generally not a huge cob fan but that pipe, which is at least 20 years old and probably a lot older, and Escudo are a beautiful match between the sweetness of the cob and the spiciness of the Perique.
But I also love Escudo in a wide bowl briar like a prince, the type of pipe that loves English blends. In that sort of pipe the Virginias really come to the fore. It's really interesting how different pipe shapes and materials bring out different flavors in blends.

Mar 1, 2014
Right now my "VaPer" pipe is a large, smooth black full bent. I want to look really posh when I'm smoking my best flakes.

I even have a matching flat cap, which is actually really ironic given the origin of those hats.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have yet to try Escudo (although shaintiques was kind enough to send me a sample), and was wondering this very thing. Since I have yet to pop my Escudo "Cherry", I want the experience to be right. Cob or briar? Tall/narrow bowl or fatter/larger bowl? Short stem or churchwarden?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have one cob and one briar that I use for Va/Per blends - the cob is a Country Gentleman that I converted to a Cobwarden, and the briar is a Stanwell Zebrano egg/apple shape. Both are sizable bowls (which I tend to prefer in general), and both do quite well with Va/Per blends. I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference between the CG with a regular stem vs. the churchwarden stem (both from Walker Briar Works), and if there has been a difference between the cob and the briar, it's been too subtle (so far) for me to remember it between smokes.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have mine most often in a Savinelli Tundra Straight Billiard, its a rather large bowl and I rub out 2 coins of Escudo and enjoy at least an hour and a half out of that pipe. Just sings for some reason.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Second the big bowl preference. I found a purty Mr. Anderson stack that has one big enough to house three coins rolled straight up. Good enough for a couple of hours with a break or two thrown in.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think it matters less the shape of the pipe and more that you dedicate one specific pipe to ensure an experience untainted by faint ghosts of previous blends.
That said, I use a Stanwell No.242 for Escudo. It's a smaller, non-filtered version of my favorite No.11 shape and just big enough for one coin. I do like cobs, but I prefer them with VaPer/Kentucky hybrids such as Scottish Cake and Cumberland. For other VaPer flakes, I generally favor Dublins and Zulus. And Billiards seem to smoke everything well. I'm currently smoking LNF in a blend-dedicated Savinelli apple shape, so go figure...

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the input guys. This was my original VaPer pipe, a Savinelli Duca Carlo billiard (picture was from cupojoes when the pipe was new). A pretty decent size bowl, always seems to make Virginia blends sing the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.