PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I thought, (there I go again) that it would be fun to have a dedicated thread to posting up fishing stories/photos of the big ones (I've never caught anything big :()
I like to fly fish mostly for Bream/Bluegill with a lightweight 4 wt. outfit with poppers just to hear them smack the dickens out of the poppers. They fight really well for their size and are really mouth watering when cut into palm size fillet pieces.

sunfish.jpg

Pictures with you fishing and puffing away get extra credit.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Funny you should mention Bluegill. A buddy and I just yesterday were talking about fishing trips we've taken recently, and were discussing the taste of our favorite fresh water fish.

We both love the flavor of Bluegill!! Along with Walleye and Crappie!
I only wish I had photos of my trophys.....if I ever catch one I'll have some taken!

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i like bluegills and crappie too, but in the last few years i haven't been able to hook one that was a keeper. they are so small anymore, i don't know why.

it's the same way fishing on the outer banks of nc. its got bad and you can't catch the fish that i used to years ago.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Saltwater surf casting for me, Bluefish and Striped Bass.I also enjoy droping a line from the dock and catching Tautog w/ seaworms, now thats a summer day!!!

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
I'm a blues and striper man myself, I hit the streams in search of brookies on occasion as well.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Hearing about Blues reminds me of when I was on the Outer Banks around 20 years ago. I was surf fishing with my uncle from Iowa and it was his first time saltwater fishing. Well he caught a 6lb Blue and proceeded to place his thumb in it's mouth and well the screaming that insued afterwards was priceless.

I myself mostly flyfish unless I am with my older daughter. Bluegill are fun on a Fly rod but I love Trout and Smallmouth when it comes to a fight.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
My favorite two types of fishing are:
Out of small boat tootling down the shallow, crystal-clear, rocky-bottomed White River in N.W Arkansas for Brown and Rainbow trout.
In the spring, plastic-worm fishing out of a tube on farm-ponds for Largemouth Bass up near the bank.

bjeorn

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2010
a nice little 11 lb pike caught on a little roach lure on the river

louis022.jpg

when this pic was taken (last summer) i weighed 24 st now im just over 18 st WOOHOO
louis021.jpg

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Great thread idea, my fav. fishing is bluegill, crappie and large mouth on a fly rod on area private ponds. I also enjoy a trip every once in a while to the mountians for trout. I will try to post some picks this spring of my outings.

casper223

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
Just the other day, my next door neighbor emptied out some blue crab shells etc into the front of his boat shed, a few minutes later he asked me to come down and look, had a nice 60" Redfish in about a foot of water at low tide feeding on what was left, His Tail and dot on his tail stuck out of the water a few inches, it was right at dusk, and I couldn't get my camera on my iPhone to catch a picture of him, all we could get was a reflection of the water unless standing right over him. lol, my neighbor threw his bait net over the redfish, but when the water settled, he was long gone! The Bass are rampid at my dock, they love the brackish water there, But for me it's Red Snapper, Redfish, Trout and Flounder. If the Gas Prices would come back down a bit, I would have to venture back out in Blue Water for more Dolphin. After fishing the blue water for the dolphin and snapper, everything else seems like a day of fiddling around. I'll have to send some pictures when the weather warms up, I never said I was hardcore, lol just enjoy fishing immensely!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I enjoy fishing the cranberry marshes for pan fish. Or hitting the small ponds many farmers have around here.

charger186

Lurker
Feb 5, 2011
When i lived in Dallas, TX i fished Lake Fork known for Big Bass, here is one i caught early one Feb. morning. weight, 9.13lbs, 23.25 inches long.
BigBass.jpg

jjtroutbum

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
Sorry for the last post I was not showing my message. Strange but this forum is set up different than any other that I use so well it could be me.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
this past fall we caught some deep water gills. here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5wHKBvXNwE

and then a few days later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3moSDtAPg

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
a few weeks ago ice started to melt but that did not stop my buddy. don`t freak we have been fishing like this for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMpm3MH4cDQ

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
One of the many hats I have to wear running our charter cruises in Alaska is that of fishing guide (also plumber, electrician, navigator, host, somalier, mechanic and others)
Here is a nice 25 pound King Salmon a guest from Florida pulled in last summer. I will refrain from putting up a halibut photos as those are just stupid big.
firstking.jpg

We also set shrimp traps
shrimphaul.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.