Declaration of Independence Found in Chichester Archives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It makes one wonder how many more of these historic documents lay hidden away in dusty libraries or museums.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-sussex-44703928/declaration-of-independence-found-in-chichester-archives
Regards,
Jay.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
:rofl:
That's the copy we sent King George. He folded it up and forgot about it. That little document ended up biting him in the ass.
Interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The British came back for a second try in 1812, but were canny enough to warm up trade and national relations after that. It wasn't as if they were short of colonial territories to govern and maintain, some of which only broke free after World War Two. Even in relinquishing the Empire, the U.K. has been astute in maintaining ties with the U.S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An historical aside, as most will remember, Sir Winston Churchill's mother was an American. As is Prince Harry's new wife. Not to mention Doris Simpson ... we won't mention her.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Looks to be in remarkably good condition considering that it may not have been curated with extreme care. One of my distant ancestors was signatory to that document. Thanks for sharing!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
On the flip side of the story, here is what's happenening on the other side of the pond.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/03/facebook-algorithm-flags-removes-declara
hihi
Remarcable find non the less, and I guess "Happy Birth Day" to all the yankees on the forum. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
All the reason to steer clear of Facebook. I some times wonder why Cursive has been dropped from elementary school curriculum. I have a sneaking suspicion its so those coming along behind us can't read founding documents.
****No political drivel intended with this post****

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I declared my independence from Facebook a long time ago. I'd love for that to happen on a massive scale.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I was talking about this very sort of thing at work yesterday. Apparently the War Dept. burned down in 1800, taking with it most of the U.S. government documents/archives up to that point. Recently, a guy I work with, along with a bunch of other folks, decided to go around Europe (mostly Britain) collecting copies of the lost documents. Well, they didn't go personally, but they sought documents for which extant copies remained abroad. Their efforts can be seen here:
http://wardepartmentpapers.org
Thankfully, it was common to transcribe/copy documents in the late 18th century -- otherwise, many of these would be lost forever.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for not mentioning the horrible Wallis Simpson and her little worm of a husband. He would have been a crap monarch had he not abdicated, so I guess we owe Mrs. Simpson some small thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought this was in reference to the Chichester area of Philly. A pretty tough place... Anything there, not nailed down will was surely stolen, so I wouldn't have been surprised. Uk....got it!
If the Declaration of Independence is every stolen from Independence Hall in Philly, they'll head straight to Chichester to find the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.