PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Each pipers ritual is as unique and personal as their Sunday morning. The ever subjective pipe, light, tamp, blend, cadence... repeat: When it comes to unlocking pure magic, the endless tumblers in a desired combination seem endless.
Take my most recent tobacco choice, as an example. Mellow Monk calls itself a burley blend, however, in my opinion, its smoking characteristics are more akin to a mild English — and during this cool November — it isn't providing my taste with that earthy walk through the forest that I crave.
It's moments like these, that I employ some habits I've gathered over the years as a spirits advocate. When enjoying a nice bourbon, I sip the elixir over my tongue, allowing a bit of air to mingle, further vaporizing the aroma. As I gently swirl the fluid over my taste buds, I allow the scent to saturate my palate and nasal cavities. For me, this intensifies the flavors, and thus, my personal enjoyment.
On occasion, I do something similar during my pipe smoking.
This morning, as I patiently sat with the Mellow Monk, he needed something a bit stronger than my coffee to wake him and finally get him to groove.
I started by breath-smoking, using my tongue to aid in drawing the smoke into my mouth every couple of breaths. After slightly exhaling a bit of vapor back into the stem, I would again sip the saved smoke into my mouth, but this time, bring a bit of air with it.
And sip, of course, is the key word.
With the pipe stem's opening placed against the left side of my bottom lip, the sipping allowed me to slightly part my mouth, inviting in fresh air. I then swirled the mixture, allowing it to invade my senses, before exhaling, and starting the entire process again.
Finally! ... my elusive burely, and all the familiar promises of fall that it brings.
I imagine many of these quirks become benign routine while learning to unlock contentment; mastering the Art of the Unthink.
So, I'm curious — if willing to share — what are some behaviors you've gained through the trails, when trying to domesticate briar and blend?

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Fascinating. I don't feel I have much to contribute since I'm still learning, but I'm eager to read other people's responses.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Without exhaling through my nose, the smoke only gives me about half of its potential flavor. Some people can't do it without sneezing, I've heard.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
To me the pipe is simply a tool to deliver nicotine.
For me it's all about the taste, the nicotine is a bonus. No need to over complicate things, cross the road and stand on my head trying to find rainbows and unicorns in whatever blend I'm smoking. Fill the bowl, light it on fire and smoke it, it really isn't much more complicated than that. Other than pushing a little smoke out of my nose occasionally, it's just smoking.

warren, I think we must be doing it wrong :roll:

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
No need to over complicate things, cross the road and stand on my head trying to find rainbows and unicorns in whatever blend I'm smoking.
While annied up a the porcelain bar, I've been known to enjoy Mad Dog 20/20 fresh outta the Mason jar, from time to time.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I no longer consciously dissect just what it is that I'm doing while smoking a pipe other than that I retro-hale. I just, well... do it. However, I don't rely on a pipe as a nicotine delivery implement as that is why I still, much to my regret, am still a cigarette smoker for 50+ years. If I want to relax while smoking and obtain some variable tastes from tobacco I'll pack a bowl and do so. If I want nicotine a pipe is the last thing I'll reach for. Other than that, in the evening and the mood strikes me, I'll reach into my humidor and pick out a good quality cigar for a good 1 1/2+ hour smoke and gain much more of a nicotine satisfaction than I've ever received from a pipe. But, that's just this old farts perception over the years and obviously everyone will find out what works best for them. :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The old coffin stick is still very good at what it does.
I should point out that I still want a blend that delivers an acceptable taste as well as the nicotine. In fact, my evening smokes need to be full flavored, more so than my working smokes.
I agree with phil67, a good cigar is indeed a great smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I enjoy the variety of flavors that are available in pipe tobaccos. Nicotine is a decidedly tertiary interest. As an outdoor only smoker I've learned how to get that flavor without the "room note" or smoke cloud as a helper. But having done this for years I just do it without really thinking about it. Prep is the foundation, and the rest flows from there. No need to overthink or complicate smoking a pipe.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
After you have smoked a pipe long enough you stop thinking about it. The technique you develop is something that has evolved with time and seems to best meet your personal objectives whatever they might be. I'm much more inclined to think about what tobacco and in what pipe than I am to give much thought as to how to smoke it. Time and experience has provided that answer, no thought required.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not trying to downplay any of the above responses, but as a piper still learning his way and more interested in taste than buzz, I'd love to learn more about sipping and tasting. Learning how to do such things with scotch was certainly enlightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.