PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
So far I have had a few bowls of this blend by Seattles pipe club. This is really a great Virginia perique blend and so far I feel it is light on the perique which is great for my taste. I think you really get a good Virginia taste out of this blend did not really notice the oriental that is in this blend though. Anyone else try this solid blend.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
It's very new and I mean fresh new so don't know yet but someday will try.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
This one is on my list- it sounds wonderful. I've been enjoying GLP's Sixpence quite a bit........ AH, so many blends, so little time............

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
Just got my tin and smoked my first bowl. I agree that the perique is lighter than in other VaPers. I definitely picked up on the Orientals, but everything blended pretty smoothly. I would certainly recommend it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds good! I'm inundated in great blends to try right now, so it will have to go on my back list. Thanks!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Seattle Pipe Club Deception Pass

This is a Virginia, Perique and Turkish oriental blend.

The tin note is a good vinegary ketchup note reminding me of red cake a bit. The cut of this tobacco is a ribbon cut and is very easy to work with as far as packing. The light of this tobacco is very good and I had no issues keeping it lit. I used a char light method and had no problems. The first 1/3 of the bowl I really got the taste of the Turkish oriental a bit but mostly the virginia blend. The Perique is noticeable but not much yet. The 2/3 of the bowl is where the Virginia and Perique really shine. The combination of these two tobaccos kept it a fairly cool and very smooth smoke. The last third of the bowl actually did give me a good spice but nothing overpowering. Overall this is a great start for people looking for a good Virginia blend as well as a good starter if your wanting to try a VAPER. Mostly because this blend is very light on the Perique and I think the Turkish oriental is what helps tame that down. I would recommend this to any pipe smoker and the VAPER lovers out there because this is truly an old day smoke. There is little to no bite from this blend and it will leave you with a nice salt and pepper ash. So enjoy everyone I personally got 4 tins of this and I am glad I did. That said this review is coming from an aromatic and English smoker. This blend has opened my eyes though and will be in my rotation. Enjoy everyone and get some this stuff it's good.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I was also fortunate enough to try it at the Jan SPC Dinner. They also had a big bowl at the Feb SPC monthly meet. I love the stuff!
I am still a noob at reviews, but while I wouldn't say it was overpowering in any way, i did get the pepper of the perique in there. Over all, it was a very balanced and just wonderful smoke. I can only imagine (Drool) what some age will do to this.
I got 7 tins during the 15% off sale.
=D

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
My own two cents:
I was realy looking forward to try this SPC blend, just because, I loved the poster, really. As I say in other reviews I made, I am not quite THE reviewer, ... yet. So for now, it's really "I like this because ... ", "i don't like that because..." ... And so I discovered this blend on SP.com and I got really intrigued by the image. I clearly stood out from most of very classical ways of doing tobacco labels I've seen before. I noticed that all SPC blends have very nice logos and so I decided to order a tin of DP and one of Potlatch. I haven't been disappointed. Recently, I found myself at a crossroad finding most aromatics very nice and sweet and all, but lacking substance, most English being too strong on the latakia, and not enjoying Virginias or Vapers much.
And there they were, in the same posted package were my 3 new best friends, FMC, Potlatch and Deception Pass. All sharing the same thing I wanted to find in a tobacco, strength, substance, but also some sweetness.
DP is smoking very nicely and cool, it's has smells and tastes like a Virginia, but like a cup of coffee might need a sugar in it, this one here felt, at least to me, the same.
Pipe Used: Own made Apple Straight
Age When Smoked: a week in a jar

Status
Not open for further replies.