Decent lightly sweetened Burley for Cajun Half-and-Half?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Those of you who frequented alt.smokers.pipes back in the day may remember Stephen Williamson's Cajun Half-and-Half blend. It was 10% Perique, 45% McClelland 2010, and 45% Admiral's Choice Gold Burley (a drugstore blend). I mixed up a batch of this over 10 years ago now... it was by no means a sophisticated tobacco, but it was surprisingly good when you just wanted something simple to smoke, and I'd like to mix up a new batch. The only problem is that the Burley was distributed through CVS, which no longer stocks tobacco. It will sound ridiculous to those that haven't tried it, but it really was *just* the right kind of crappy drugstore blend for the mix - definitely sweetened, but not obscenely so. It played off the Virginia and Perique perfectly.
Do any of you Burley enthusiasts have a recommendation for a substitute - preferably one that I could order from SmokingPipes or another major retailer? Obviously, there are a zillion Burley blends out there, but something too good would actually take away from the end product, which balanced the odd drugstore sweetness with the 2010 and Perique. The ideal candidate would be a white Burley that burns well, and is lightly sweetened by drugstore standards. IIRC, it was sort of a honey casing, but it's been a long time. But it definitely wasn't a tobacco that most folks here would smoke on its own.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Hello, first post here. I do remember the old Cajun Half and Half and a few years ago I came up with a version that I like quite a bit. My blend is 8oz McClleland 5100, 8oz McClelland X10, and one tin (1.75oz.) of McClelland blending perique. I use my vacuum press Foodsaver to meld the blend for a few months as well. All are available via SPC. I doubt you would want to blend up 1 pound + on spec so if you are interested PM me and I'll send you an ounce or two.
Ted

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Dark Burley might do the trick, though it may be a higher strength than the CVS brand.

Lately, I've used 4 Aces Regular for some home mixes, and it isn't bad, but begins by being

a blend of Virginia and Burley. Lanes Burley Without Bite might also work. Home mixes are

surprisingly good. I call them mixes, not blends, because I don't age them or put them under

pressure, but mix them up with my fingers, maybe let them dry overnight, and pack the pipe.

Or sometimes just go directly to the pipe.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tppytel:
Admiral's Choice pipe-tobacco was manufactured by the Sutliff Tobacco Company. My guess is that if you contact them (http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/contact-us.html) they can tell you if it is still offered under another name, or, alternatively, they may be able to recommend a match.
I hope that this information is helpful to you.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks all. I don't see any Admiral's Choice listed on P&C yet, but perhaps it will arrive soon. Also, there's no "Gold Burley" listed on Sutliff's Admiral's Choice page, only a "Burley". Not sure if those are the same. I sent inquiries to both companies and will post back here with any information I uncover.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Yeah... I saw the advert. But I can't find any Admiral's Choice at P&C itself, unless I'm just overlooking it somewhere.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tppytel:
Pipestud has listed for sale on Page Three of his Pipestud's Consignment Shop Website (www.pipestud.com) an eight-ounce tin of Admiral's Choice Gold Burley for $15.00. Grab it and get to blending!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I've been swapping emails with the very helpful John Schone at Sutliff. I still have a few questions to resolve over the status of the blend, but hope to post definitive answers back here soon.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Sorry, hunter... I did see that, and I appreciate the tip about the can at Pipestud's. However, I doubt this kind of tobacco would age well, so I'm hesitant to buy a tin of unknown origins online. I'm in no hurry, anyway, so I feel like I might as well go to the source and figure out exactly what's become of the blend over the years. But again, thanks for the tip.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
OK, got some pretty good answers from the extremely helpful John Schone at Sutliff.
1) While the Admiral's Choice line lives on, it no longer includes the old Gold Burley blend. The AC "Natural" will not at all be the same thing.
2) The old AC Gold Burley is no longer produced exactly as it was, but John suggested the Walgreen's Golden Burley (under the Blender's Gold brand) as a close match. The Blender's Gold line is also produced by Sutliff.
3) The Super Value blends are also Sutliff products, but they don't currently include a Gold Burley blend.
So out of the currently available products, the best bet is the Walgreen Golden Burley. Unfortunately, this is only available in less economical 3.5 oz tins rather than the big bags - John explained that this was a response to drugstores' reduced shelf space for tobacco products.
I'm planning on hunting down a tin of the Walgreens stuff and comparing it to some samples of the other bulk Burleys out there. I'm thinking McClelland's X-9 (a slightly more flavored version of X-10) might be a good match in flavor, and probably with better quality leaf.
Hope this helps anyone else out there hoping to recreate the old Cajun Half-and-Half. Many thanks to John at Sutliff for putting up with all my questions.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
My wife happened to be going on a Walgreen's run tonight and succeeded in finding a can of the Blender's Gold Golden Burley. Wow, this is some funky stuff. Fortunately, it's funky in the exact same way I dimly remember the old CVS blend to be. The tin note and appearance is really odd. Despite the name, it's not at all golden, but instead a consistent dark brown. It's also moist and oddly sticky, which is not surprising for this kind of bulk drugstore blend. A sniff of the can reveals it's clearly laced with flavoring, but I can't pin down what it is. There's a hint of the cocoa note you sometimes get from Burleys, but it's got more of a sweet, honeyish scent. Except... not. Very strange, and very close to the same reaction I remember from the old one.
I can't recall whether I ever smoked a bowl of the old CVS blend straight, but I figured I may as well give this one a try. Despite the evident moisture, I decided to be a trooper and try it straight from the can. The tobacco fought combustion mightily, with the moisture in the leaf audibly crackling as I attempted to light it. However, once lit it burned relatively well. Too moist to really slow smoke, but not bad. The first half of the bowl tasted like... nothing. I could see smoke escaping my mouth, but struggled to find any flavor at all. A wisp of nuttiness or sweetness here or there, but basically nothing. The second half developed into actually tasting like a slightly sweet, but still extremely light nutty Burley - much lighter even than something like MacBaren's old London Blend. Not bad, though, and no trace of the funkiness I smelled in the can. My wife said it smelled like marshmallows. I'm drying out some more of it before I give it another taste test - it's certainly far too wet out of the can, and I found my tongue stinging by the end of the bowl. I think it could actually be palatable on its own at the right moisture level.
In any event, the Walgreens can does indeed appear to be a pretty good match for the old CVS version. It's odd, and a little trashy, but the charm of Cajun Half and Half was that it somehow made it work, and work well. I put in a SP order today and included a variety of McClelland bulk burley samples to do some comparison testing with. Also, as noted in another thread, I found an extra unopened tin of McClelland blending Perique I purchased when I made the original batch some 8+ years ago now, so I may do some experimenting with old vs new Perique as well. Should be fun to tinker with. It won't, however, be nearly as cheap a blend as it was in the past. I think my old batch cost about $40 for a little over a pound. I don't have the receipt from Walgreens, but my wife said she thought it was about $10 for 3.5 ounces of the Golden Burley. A couple of those plus $27.50 for a half pound of 2010 plus $10 for a can of Perique puts this batch at about $60 a pound - that's Dunhill and Rattray's territory! Still... should be a fun project nonetheless.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
An update on the experiments, in case anyone else cares besides me... :)
I received an ounce or two each of McClelland's X-10, X-9, and X-90 Burleys in a recent SP order. I knew the X-10 was unflavored and wasn't going to have the same profile as the Golden Burley, but figured it would be fun to keep around to play with. Of the X-9 (Blended Light Burley Ribbon) and X-90 (American Cavendish Burley), the X-9 is quite close to the Walgreens Burley. It's definitely flavored and with something of a similar style, but with less funk and less sticky moisture. Smoked on its own, it bites just a little more toward the end than the Walgreens stuff, but also has more genuine tobacco flavor. The X-90 is somewhat similar at the beginning, but the small amount of added VA to the mix changes the smoke as you go down the bowl. It's decent though, and probably a better smoke on its own than the X-9. But it's not suitable as a drop-in replacement for Cajun Half and Half.
I'm going to mix up some small test batches with both the X-9 and the Walgreens and will report back after a sample bowl of each. I remember that the original blend aged rather well over the first 6 months or so, so a fresh bowl won't be an accurate representation. But it will be fun to try!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I smoked a sample bowl or two of both the X-9 and the Walgreens Golden Burley versions of the blend in the last couple days, both with about 10% Perique relative to the total weight. I wasn't especially careful about smoking in comparable pipes or with comparable moisture levels, so this is a rough test - I intend to do a proper comparison after giving the batches some aging time.
Both version of the blend are quite similar, and both show that Stephen (the original Cajun Half and Half creator) was really onto something with this recipe. I didn't especially enjoy either Burley by itself and don't like straight 2010 very much either. But the blend is much more than the sum of its parts. Something about the 2010 makes the light sweetness and flavor of the Burleys much more noticeable while also keeping them from tasting too thin and one-dimensional. The Perique, at least at the concentration that I used, is noticeable but not dominating. The overall result is something of an upscale codger blend that you can puff on pleasantly without paying attention to it, but still has some solid flavor if you want to stop and look for it. Really quite nice.
While I wasn't being particular about making a scientific comparison here, the X-9 version seemed to edge out the Walgreens one. The X-9 has just a touch more Burley flavor to it, and the Walgreens version seemed to bite just a tad toward the end of the bowl - quite possibly because the humectant in the Walgreens burley prevents it from ever drying out properly. The sweetness provided by each was indistinguishable to me - both were noticeable and pleasant, without getting anywhere close to real aromatic territory.
I bagged up a couple ounces of each blend and will try to let them sit for at least a month before doing another comparison, assuming I can keep myself away from them in that time. I suspect I'll lean towards the X-9 in the end if only because they're very similar, and the X-9 is more readily available in quantity and at a comparable price. As I noted earlier, this isn't nearly as cheap a blend as it was 10 years ago - one of its original charms was how much it improved a $10 half-pound of drugstore Burley. The Walgreens burley costs about that much for just 3.5 ounces now, and the 2010 is significantly more expensive as well. With the current ingredients this will come out around $55/pound (around $6.50/tin), which puts it in the same neighborhood as other well-regarded burley blends out there. I think it will find a place on my tobacco shelf, but probably not to the exclusion of the other fine blends already available.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I cannot believe that folks are still talking about this tobacco. I thought I had run out of it all, but last night I think I found my last 4 ounce jar of Cajun Half and Half. 10 years of aging has turned it into a wonderful tobacco. I just did a search on the term and got directed here.
Anyway, I have no idea what burley I would use if I was making it today. To be honest I could not afford to even think about making it now.
Steve Williamson

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Hey Steve - awesome that you ended up here after all these years! Enjoy that 10 year old jar - I'm sure it's a super smoke!
As for the Burley choice, I did do a proper comparison test last weekend and then again just now. I'm surprised to report that the Walgreens Golden Burley is a clear winner here over the McClelland. Both versions have the same overall flavor, but something about the Walgreens Burley brings out the depth of the other components better. The X-9 version is certainly decent, but a little thinner and more prone to bite. While tracking down lone cans at Walgreens is a pain, I think it's worth the effort.
For the sake of posterity, here's the recipe again...
Cajun Half and Half by Stephen Williamson
45% Blender's Gold Golden Burley (from Walgreens)

45% McClelland 2010

10% Perique (adjust to taste)
If you're lazy or don't have a scale handy, just toss together a half-pound of 2010 with two canisters of the Golden Burley and one tin of blending Perique. That should be close enough.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
There was one small secret that I never really let out. I put a lot more Perique into the mix and never really told anyone. The original recipe was 5 pounds 2010, 5 pounds Golden burley and 1 1/2 pounds of good Perique. I also made it with Red Cake instead of the 2010. The Red Cake was good, but the 2010 really set it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.