PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Got home from a grocery run to have my wife announce that a friend had spotted a dead 'possum on our car port. Oh good. It was a juvenile, and did not appear to have been hit by a car or gnawed by a fox or dog, no blood. So I watched it for a while to see if it was doing its famous act. No breathing, nothing going on. Then I pondered whether to boost it in a garbage bag and have it carried away in the garbage Tuesday. I sized up the situation and decided to do what I've done with smaller critters and heave them into a wooded easement across the street, a good distance from houses on either side. I hope the scavengers do their dining duty -- crows, vultures, foxes. As my uncle said of dragging the occasional deceased calf or other critter to the back forty for disposal by vultures, "they've never let me down."

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
To paraphrase a much wiser man than I...
..."Buzzards gotta eat, too!"

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
My sister in law found a dead guy on the trail while out with her dogs
.. but I digress

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Dammit. I thought Cornell & Diehl had come out with a new codger burley.
C&D gift pack. Bow-Legged Bear, Exhausted Rooster and Bloated Dead Possum.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I prefer mine a bit fresher.
This guy snuck in through the cat door a while ago and was after the cat food.
possum-600x338.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Opossums, despite their play-dead act, can be really aggressive, hiss and bare their teeth. They're no badgers, but they aren't passive either. When they trot across the road in headlights, they walk like they're wearing little high heels. It's my understanding, from the local vet school, that they get various diseases but don't contract rabies. Had one walking in circles near the house, and I called and asked.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
A few years ago I walked out the frontdoor and heard a sharp crackling sound. I looked up just in time to see a squirrel take a header off the powerline. I had to walk over and rubberneck the deceased and here the tree rat was laying in the street with a walnut still in his mouth. Then I noticed he was following me with his eyes as I moved around. I could almost hear the squirrel say "First I ride the lightning, then I fall and now this goofy looking bastid shows up".

Didn't seem right to leave him in the middle of the street so I drug him to safety by his tail. Came back an hour later and he was gone....nut as well.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
"Didn't seem right to leave him in the middle of the street so I drug him to safety by his tail"
You did a good deed...Sammy squirrel thanks you for your help.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Friends left a pot of grease sizzling on a campfire after a meal and a wild boar came out of the woods and guzzled it down. They watched it expecting it to collapse of internal burns, but it didn't so much as belch. These critters sometimes neglect their fatal experiences and go on about their lives.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We've always had vultures in Central North Carolina, of course, circling off to the side of the highways or out over farms. I've seen them in town one at a time before, on some road kills. But lately I've seen whole groups feasting by the side of the street on a 'possum or squirrel. Like Canadian Geese, they've become urban dwellers as never before. Not a happy sight, but keeping things tidy, after all.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The venerable codger burleys have become my favorite genre. Prince Albert, Lane Limited (formerly Edgeworth) Ready-Rubbed, and Classic Burley Kake are some of my faves. That's why the thread title made me so hopeful!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you're right, if we name a blend, Dead Possum has that ring of certainty. For another buck, you can get Dead Possum Plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.