Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Death Metal

(133 posts)
  1. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After seeing the "Deathmetal" board name appear on a number of recent threads here, I decided to investigate what a "death metal" was. Figured it was probably a term physicists used to describe any of a family of highly radioactive by-product metals from a nuclear power plant.

So, I Googled the term, clicked a sample link, and within seconds my cat switched on the kitchen sink's garbage disposal and jumped in, three people walking past my house vomited themselves to death on the sidewalk (dehydration, most likely), the inside of all my windows frosted white as if etched by fluorine gas, the interior wall paint peeled off in charred strips, my next door neighbor to the south threw a dozen paper bags of their Rottweiler's finest offerings at my house, and my next door neighbor to the north called the police who sent a SWAT team because they thought I was torturing someone in my basement.

All in all, not quite what I was expecting. Is that normal?

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Normal as in its normal until the demons show up.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. It is not normal. It is what they call "death metal". An acquired taste, from what I hear.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"..the inside of all my windows frosted white as if etched by fluorine gas.."

Nice

Not my style to be sure

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'd have to first define normal. It is a sub genre of music.

While I enjoy what is most likely "Old School Metal". Black Sabath, Deep Purple, Older Metallica, actual Scandinavian and variations of Death Metal bore me.

But I am old....so take that for what it's worth.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's a much better chap than his name.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The real question is: How did your pipes survive the attack?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The attacks is mostly sonic. Your pipes will be fine.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A "death metal" is not only the bailiwick of the physicists. It can also be construed as anything in the 1911, M-60, M-14, and to a lesser extent, M-16/AR-15 family of metals.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Led Zepplin?

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. deuce26

deuce26

Login to Send PM

When he posts song links it's like watching a car accident. You don't wanna watch, but in music terms you can't help but listen. Of course I can't personally listen too long or I'd probably hang myself.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He posted some GREAT...old stuff tonight.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perfectly normal and everything will be fine. Cats grow on trees, the pedestrians will be cleared by buzzards over the next couple weeks, you need to wash down the windows with a 50/50 mixture of holy water and everclear, the wall treatment is a high end design feature that should be viewed as a gift, the dog poop can be thrown back, and the SWAT team will leave allowing you to continue torturing whoever you have in the basement once they realize it's just death metal.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perfectly normal and everything will be fine. Cats grow on trees, the pedestrians will be cleared by buzzards over the next couple weeks, you need to wash down the windows with a 50/50 mixture of holy water and everclear, the wall treatment is a high end design feature that should be viewed as a gift, the dog poop can be thrown back, and the SWAT team will leave allowing you to continue torturing whoever you have in the basement once they realize it's just death metal.

Thanks. I needed that.

All better now, me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. demetrakopoulos

demetrakopoulos

Login to Send PM

I'm not heavily into metal, but I'll listen to Black Metal or Viking Metal from time to time.

I mainly listen to Industrial of which there is a subgenre called Death Industrial. Just be glad you didn't search for that instead.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why yes, it is supposed to be that way... but I recognize that, like Royal Yacht and witbier, it's an acquired taste... which means some will never acquire it, and so forth.

Here's the roots of the genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw3njtQaf6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVecmhNYbuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0usvIXvNuk

Its first proto-generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dWwKDCRV8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohnwmmTlJ2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV08nY2J268

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGKlb8hklQ

And some early works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4J5vAUJpTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2EAo90fGzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGrOk1FTis

The Heavy Metal FAQ might have more information.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. demetrakopoulos

demetrakopoulos

Login to Send PM

You know, I never really considered Bathory's The Return to be a precursor to Death Metal, but upon listening to it again, I can totally see it. I guess I just lumped all albums prior to Under the Sign of the Black Mark as "experimental thrash metal."

My favorite is Blood Fire Death so I suppose I think that all the previous albums are all working on leading up to, what I would consider to be, the band's perfection.

Good call on that one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BFD is my personal favorite as well. It captures what he always wanted to do in a compact and epic form! It probably ultimately had more effect in black metal than death metal, but all of his stuff was influential.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still don't care for Royal Yacht

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hilarious OP narrative George. I feel your pain. The most I can handle is the Eagles of Death Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEvxypx1tps

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

No Celtic Frost?

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I listened to a few minutes of the albums posted by deathmetal, and feel it might need to be an addition to the Clergy Pipe Smokers thread. I'll admit to liking some of it though, Black Sabbath in particular. My problem is, I'm now an old fart with tinnitus, but I always liked hearing different kinds of music. The metal music I am more familiar with is of the heavy metal type. I have a couple of albums by Nine Inch Nails that I like and play from time to time, and I also have an interesting album I got in the late 80s that works the senses called Nosferatu by Art Zoyd. It was made to be a soundtrack for the silent film of the same name. There's so many different kinds of music that's been made down through the years, and it all quite interesting.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All death, no metal:

Kronos Quartet's "Dracula"

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

theediabeticman

Login to Send PM

In high school I hated metal until I sang with the Milwaukee symphony...the layered rhythms and chords in metal then made sense. If this sounds weird it's ok my wife thought that was nuts too

Cries of the Past by Uneroath after singing Handels Messiah makes sense to me though

Inspirational quote to be inserted during an inspirational moment
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The music just conjures up such raw, primal rage. It's funny how we become our like our parents at some point. It conjures up memories of my Mom's reactions to hearing me cranking up Grand Funk or Led Zepplin. She'd barg into my room slamming down my turntable, yelling, "This crap makes me want to KILL!!!"

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not my genre at all......... but I drive my kids nutz with my music of choice. I can veer into different realms, but don't stay long in the metal spot.... Makes me a bit ill.......

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Death is like one of those closeted homosexuals who goes around beating the shit out of gay guys and calling everyone a fag because he can't come to terms with his own sexual identity. This guy smokes more mixture 79 than anybody here!

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here you go George. The best metal video ever. Hang in there until about the 45 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFWazj7Ud8

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. styler

styler

Login to Send PM

I was never a fan of straight death metal, I found it far too repetitive. I do like a bit of black metal though, or even blackened death on occasion. There are a lot of tech-death bands on the go at the moment but it's a very hit and miss sub genre. I loved the last Fallujah album though; great musicianship, tastful atmospherics and I can actually make out the occasional lyric!

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWIF-hxJEng][/url]

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. grue

grue

Login to Send PM

I'll hold the flag with you deathmetal! Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmu6dsq9TXw

m/

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Obituary's "World Demise" was the song I was attempting to embed, but I can't figure the embedding process out and I need to leave for work.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DeathMetal? Great guy!

The Genre? Out grew it. But still respect the orchestratic/TimeSignature/ Classical/technical modes of death metal. Celtic Frost, Deicide, Death, MorbidAngel....yea I used to love that stuff.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  33. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beethoven became Deathmetal.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

I've always found it funny that I can enjoy punk, black metal, but find death metal one dimensional (with a few scant exceptions). More than anything I do enjoy the over the top imagery and band names/song titles. It's theatre, it's a character. Sort of like the "hipster" thing several of you like to go on about.

As with smokes though, to each his own, I'm not one to judge.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I listened to a few minutes of the albums posted by deathmetal, and feel it might need to be an addition to the Clergy Pipe Smokers thread.

I think that's a good idea. Death Metal will lead you to religion. I will try to explain this briefly, because my tendency is to ramble on.

(1) There are musical similarities between death metal and church music, including selective use of the whole scale and use of form; this is a response to the call/response method of the blues, which probably originated in Scotland of all places.

(2) Death metal terminated in black metal, historically. This was music which took the anti-mainstream/esoteric/occult views of death metal further into nature worship, paganism and a type of devotional.

(3) People forget the full Nietzsche quote: "God is dead; God remains dead; and we have killed him" (paraphrase). Without an inward impetus to resurrection, there is no discovering of God. Death metal takes the Nietzsche path of "undergoing" (through animality) to restoration.

$0.02, which is now worth almost as much as two pesos in 1987.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Who woulda thunk it ? !

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@demetrakopoulos

I mainly listen to Industrial of which there is a subgenre called Death Industrial.

The closest I get to that is K.K. Null or Godflesh.

@perdurabo

But still respect the orchestratic/TimeSignature/ Classical/technical modes of death metal. Celtic Frost, Deicide, Death, MorbidAngel....yea I used to love that stuff.

Seems the peak of the genre to me. 1988-1993 were its busy years.

@scarface

This guy smokes more mixture 79 than anybody here!

Indeed!

@Cosmic

It conjures up memories of my Mom's reactions to hearing me cranking up Grand Funk or Led Zepplin.

My Mom hated all of it, but warmed up to Slayer over time.

@theosprey

No Celtic Frost?

An essential band, but I included Hellhammer, their previous iteration. I should've tossed Morbid Tales on there too!

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Music hasn't been the same since Lawrence Welk died.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

username

Login to Send PM

I just find there's so many subjects in music these days.
    Ie death,power,symphonic,doom etc. I just like metal. I'm all over the map Ghost bc,Huntress, Cradle of Filth. Halloween,Avatarium. along with the classics black Sabbath,Moorhead, act.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just like metal.

Never a bad thing. This might be along your lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReHyqVkgkbE

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Music hasn't been the same since Lawrence Welk died.

A little known piece of Welkian history: He did make one valiant but tragic effort to be hip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmSv2WFDrs

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excuse me but lumping in any of those death metal bands with Black Sabbath is blasphemy. Ozzie actually sings, he doesn't just scream into a microphone with lyrics that no one can understand. Black Sabbath plays more than one cord of music in their songs. Black Sabbath 4 is one of the greatest hard rock albums in the history of hard rock. Me and my band learned everyone of their songs and played them pretty damn well. Other hard rock bands were Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep,Grand Funk Railroad, too name a few. Death Metal( my son was into that and his band played it in my house) is a form of music that is an affront to real music. Every death metal band sounds the exact same, with the exact same singer screaming into their microphones at the top of their lungs and being totally unintelligible.

Because my parents used to tell me my music was garbage and a total affront to the music they grew up listening to, (Sinatra,Tony Bennet, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and plenty of others, my parents choices of jazz was something I listened to an appreciated) I gave my son's music the time and consideration that my parents never gave my music. After giving his music every shot I could, I had to determine that his band sucked, his music sucked and the entire genre of death metal, sucked dead donkey dicks.

I really tried to find something of value in it, but no matter how hard I tried, I could do nothing but call it like I saw it, garbaaaaggge. Please do not get upset with me death metal connoisseurs I really really tried to like you. I am a musician( drums and other percussion instruments) so I have a good ear for all kinds of different music. I like old Motown, Jazz, Classical, Reggae, Sinatra, Dean Martin, and other crooners, almost every genre there is, but death metal is beyond my understanding.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  43. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get off my lawn!

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harrrumph!

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black Sabbath Vol. 4 is one of the greatest hard rock albums in the history of hard rock.

I have to agree, but I'm favoring Master of Reality and Sabotage these days.

Here's some multiple-chord death metal for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQc4ZKH185E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnUZ5xpcKHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGU9M5rTX_I

If you like Black Sabbath, I suggest checking out Saint Vitus and Cathedral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RCjEdeGmFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZkufellkew

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

death, I listened to the first band and after about 1.5 minutes I had to turn it off. That is exactly the type of music my sons band played and he listened to. When we would go for a drive, he always had a cd to play for me and I really tried to be supportive about the music he liked, but it all sounded the same to me. I would play stuff like Led Zeppelin to show him the difference and while he did appreciate it, he liked his better.

It just goes to show how everyone's tastes are so different, and that my taste is superior to his. lol

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would play stuff like Led Zeppelin to show him the difference and while he did appreciate it, he liked his better.

If his band put out any material, would you shoot it my way?

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

death, his band played a few local places in Tampa, but they never recorded anything. I went to one of his shows showing my support of him and his friends, but my ears hurt for a couple of days later. My son played the bass guitar and he had the long hair as did all of the band members except the lead singer. They would whip their hair around to the music and of course the chicks dug them. Their lead singer's father was a nephew of George Harrison( member of the Beetles). The kid couldn't sing like Harrison, all he did was scream at the top of his lungs like all the other death metal bands.

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, my favorite Beatle (not really a fan however). His book I, Me, Mine is worth reading!

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Simple ploys for attention... it works!

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  51. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, but do you like death metal?

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley -

I have a couple of albums by Nine Inch Nails that I like and play from time to time, and I also have an interesting album I got in the late 80s that works the senses called Nosferatu by Art Zoyd.

You have albums? And you can still play them?

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  53. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

What's the difference between death metal, speed metal, and thrash metal. And does Suicidal Tendencies fit I liked their 1st two albums

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Suicidal Tendencies -I'd consider it punk with metal overtones.

What's the difference between death metal, speed metal, and thrash metal.

Same Songs Different Days??? I think they are pretty much the same. I heard speed, thrash, then death metal in that order over the years. YMMV. Someone else can no doubt delineate further.

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

Ok thanks

Posted 3 years ago #
  56. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

57. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

Man I most of those albums (on cassette of course). But. we just called it heavy metal. My friends and I refused to call hair bands like Poison, Ratt, and post Shout at The Devil Motley Crue metall

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

HA!! We called Ratt, Poison, Twisted Sister and the like "Hair Bands" to differentiate them from "true" metal like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Sabbath. Yeah, I couldn't listen to metal after Motley Crue did Home Sweet Home and it infected the airwaves like an STD. It ruined the tonality for me. I came to resent slinky strings and too much reverb and distortion, and moved toward Chicago and Delta Blues, Classical, "Alternative", Big Band, 50's, 60's, & 70's rock and indigenous music.

It may be a generational thing, I was born in 1970, and some genre labels do come after the fact. What I called rockabilly one day my mother said was just rock-n-roll when it came out. DRI's DWI was punk, Cryptic Slaughter was Speedmetal, Corrosion Of Conformity was just awesome! Suicidal Tendencies' (for the first album) vocalist is almost indistinguishable stylistically from, say, Zero Boys and fit under American hardcore Punk. Its only looking back that I call it punk/metal. I had listened to the Ramones since I was like ten. The rest, as you say, we called speed metal and if they grunted and you couldn't understand the lyrics at all it was Deathmetal. I had few and far between encounters with Metal after 1986 or so.

I have not heard COC in decades and it was a real treat to hear it again. Today, I can see how the different styles co-existed on a continuum and branched out from common influences and evolved over time. Thanks for indulging a music Nazi.

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised no one has posted the best Death Metal album ever created. Chuck Schuldiner was the father of Death Metal and in my opinion Death was and still is the best Death Metal band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQhJNsWBWY

Posted 3 years ago #
  60. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigrmaster -

Excuse me but lumping in any of those death metal bands with Black Sabbath is blasphemy. Ozzie actually sings, he doesn't just scream into a microphone with lyrics that no one can understand.

It's not Ozzie, it's Ozzy. LOL

Posted 3 years ago #
  61. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's the roots of the genre:

Just too bad the roots took hold and it propagated.

Sorry, but just not my thing as it all simply sounds the same with someone screaming unintelligible lyrics. But, if it's your thing then by all means enjoy.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  62. jimbo69

jimbo69

Login to Send PM

I'm a child of the 60's and love many genres of music. I challenge you to not rock out to some ABBA and Bee Gee's

Operatic death metal does seem to resonate with me lately though (Xandria/Epica/Evenescnence/Lacuna Coil, et al.) but I still appreciate old school punk.

My 21yr old son thinks I am weird because I still like Willie Nelson. *shrug*

Posted 3 years ago #
  63. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not even gonna try to listen to death metal. I enjoy some early LZ. I bought the first Black Sabbath album a million years ago, and decided that it was music to listen to while you did Quaaludes.

Dead, Allmans, old Stones, classic swing, blues. Gimme stuff like that any time.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  64. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@metalheadycigarguy

Well, for Death, this is probably the peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ClXPGmZy4

@mayfair70

We called Ratt, Poison, Twisted Sister and the like "Hair Bands" to differentiate them from "true" metal like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Sabbath.

Same boat here. I eventually just started referring to them as hard rock and saying I liked AC/DC instead, which people seem to intuitively accept.

I can see how the different styles co-existed on a continuum and branched out from common influences and evolved over time.

I find the "music history" angle to be the most interesting, as like all histories, it is a story of ideas. I have a shelf or so of music history books that provide some aid in seeing where everything groups.

@jimbo69

I challenge you to not rock out to some ABBA

I rather enjoy ABBA and think it better than all the pop music I've heard lately.

@theosprey247

But. we just called it heavy metal.

I tend to use the term "heavy metal" like the term "classical": it is both an umbrella term for an entire style, and a subgenre. Black Sabbath is proto-metal; Led Zeppelin and Deep People are hard rock; starting with the NWOBHM (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General) was heavy metal, and anything of roughly that style fits under that category. Speed metal sort of extended that, and underground metal was the full evolution of metal; after that, it has been mostly hybrids as it looks for a new direction.

Posted 3 years ago #
  65. haiduk

haiduk

Login to Send PM

blackened death metal solo project HAIDUK

Check out and comment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIS6KqjAzUU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiFCiTZXIc

http://www.haiduk.ca

Posted 3 years ago #
  66. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a big fan of Lemmy from Motörhead and so is Matron. When we heard about his death we were both devastated. During an e-mail conversation we came up with the idea to bring a toast to Lemmy in Wuustwezel. Of course that would happen with the favourite drink of Lemmy, a Jack Daniels/cola. So I brought half a bottle of Jack with me (the other half I drank on the evening of the day I heard Lemmy died..) and to my delight I saw that Matron had taken 2 Motörhead shirts with him. His shirt was without sleeves. "You know, this shirt once had sleeves. But on a day when I was hiking I realized I forgot to bring tissues with me when I just had taken a shit. So I ripped off the sleeves of my shirt..." The shirt he had for me was a perfect fit, "size fat bastard" he said to me with a wink. We filled our glasses and raised them in honour of our fallen hero. R.I.P. Lemmy!

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/pleasures-of-life-in-belgium-2016/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf1bFQldkfo

Posted 3 years ago #
  67. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GrooveMetal, I'm not really sure what the attraction is either. I like some harder stuff like GWAR and KMFDM, but only seeing it live. It's nothing id ever listen to in my car. Obviously you need a bit of seething rage to appreciate the genre.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  68. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"A repo man is always intense. Come on, let's get a drink."

Posted 3 years ago #
  69. fluffie666

fluffie666

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

KMFDM. Someone mentioning them is a breath of fresh air. I though I might be the only one left who heard of them since most of my high school buddies are either dead from o.d.'s or holed up in their own reclusive worlds.

Posted 3 years ago #
  70. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like Generation X. Thanks, Boomers!

Posted 3 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, greeneyes, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr, canadianpuffer