PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I went to the doctor the other day and he seems to think that I have a hernia. Dad had one some years back but I was really too young to remember what he went through when he had it. It doesn't cause me any pain, but doc said that the only way to fix them is through surgery, and since I have no medical insurance right now, that's not really a viable option, at least for now. He also said that even with surgery, there is a chance of recurrence. Got me a tad bit bummed out. Anyone else here ever had to deal with this experience? Did you get it fixed right away or did you wait? And once you got it fixed, what was your experience with the healing process?

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Sorry I have nothing to offer but comic relief until someone has a real answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg&feature=kp

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Eric ... I wondered why you had dropped off the map for the last few days.
Sorry to hear about the hernia!
A good friend of mine is having hernia surgery next month after living with it most of his life.
He said the biggest thing for him to avoid was heavy straining and to cut out alcohol and some foods.
Since you already have undergone diet changes recently, I would look further into which specific

foods and drinks to avoid.
Good luck brother!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Funny you should ask. I had hernia surgery a month ago. My hernia was incisional - meaning a result of another surgery many years ago. I lived with the hernia for 4 or 5 years. My doc at the time said to do so as long as it wasn't bothering me, and he also warned of a likely recurrence once it was treated. Finally the bulge got big enough that it was quite bothersome and I had to be careful when lifting. When I met with the surgeon he downplayed the recurrence issue since they use a mesh to patch things up. He said recurrence is now very rare. It is an outpatient procedure and is often done as a "microsurgery" with tiny hole done on each side. That depends on the patient's situation. You will likely need surgery eventually but it would be best to have insurance coverage. Even outpatient procedures is costly. Incidentally, my surgeon's office had a warning notice "we do not accept Cover California insurance" (Obamacare). Best to start planning for the eventual surgery, but probably not an immediate concern.

Jul 15, 2011
I wondered why you had dropped off the map for the last few days.
Actually cobguy, I dropped off the map because I'd been working 12 hours a day non-stop. I tried to send you a PM, I think my PM inbox and outbox is acting a little weird. Did you get your package yet?
I lived with the hernia for 4 or 5 years
If this happened when I think it happened, and I'm really not too sure, I think it's only been a few months, so thats good to know. As some of the forum knows, I'm getting married next year and will then be eligible to collect insurance benefits, so I didn't know if it would be safe to put it off until then. Doc said that it is possible but that he didn't recommend it, but he also said there are people who put them off for years and years, that's why I wanted to hear from someone who had actual experience in this matter.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I had a hernia a year ago. It was a pretty large hernia and not fun when the sucker popped out. I have about a 3-inch scar. A mesh was inserted and I have had absolutely no problems since. It was an outpatient procedure, too. I had the surgery at 8-am and was back home by 2-pm. No issues since then and I am very active. Weight lifting, yard work, etc, no problems. Now, the first couple of weeks after the surgery I couldn't outrun a one legged Sloth... but then, I couldn't outrun a one legged Sloth before the surgery either.
If you allow the hernia to develop, it'll be a longer recovery period. Like someone above said, they can do the small one with micro surgery these days, and I'd sure get it done sooner than later.
Best,
Pipestud

Jul 15, 2011
Now, the first couple of weeks after the surgery I couldn't outrun a one legged Sloth... but then, I couldn't outrun a one legged Sloth before the surgery either
Ive taken a break from doing my daily run because of it, I'd been running 3 miles a day every day non-stop, and once I got the diagnosis I wasn't sure it was a good idea to keep doing so.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the answer is it all depends.. if it's not bothering you and not bulging you may be able to get by. working 12 hours a day and no insurance? any chance you were in the military? I hope it doesn't decide to flare-up just before the wedding?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Did you get your package yet?
I did ... thanks!
Hopefully, you got yours too! I sent an e-mail explaining that the "Cake Mix"

was a bonus gift to you to congratulate your weight loss with a zero calorie treat. LOL
Quit working so damned much (do as i say not as i do!) and enjoy those new tins!

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I had a double repaired laparoscopically about six years ago. The main incision was about 1" long at the navel, with a 1/2" incision on either side of the belly. Like Pipestud, I was back home by the afternoon. If you get it done, don't plan on moving around too much for a week or two. With plenty of good meds, it wasn't really a big deal. I remember my surgeon telling me he had a small one he'd been living with for ten years, and had never bothered to get it repaired.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I had a double inguil (groin) 20 years ago, let them go for 5 years but all day standing killed me, they started to use mesh then no problems! Times change I have a 4" scar on each side good conversation starter on about the 6 th. date. :lol: Hernias then a three night stay, I had a triple spinal fusion 6 years ago and a one night stay, hernias are laparoscopic these days 1/2 incision if that. If it really bothers you have no choice it could lead to a strangulated intestine! :oops:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Let me cast some good and bad news here.The good is I had one on each side done 40 years ago with the mesh.In those days you stayed about 4 days in the hospital.So far no problems.The bad news involves the second side.The lining that holds my intestines in place split and my intestine popped through and got trapped.It started blowing up like a baloon.The doc said that if it had broken the poison could have killed me.They got it in time and I'm still here.I understand your situation but you probably should get it fixed as soon as you get some insurance.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the prompt responses on this. My family doc said that he was pretty sure that was what this was but he wanted me to get a couple of tests done to make sure as he said it was in a strange spot and there was no bulge at first glance but he said he felt something odd in the general area where a hernia would be. There is a clinic here that does limited radiological testing and some emergency procedures that have financing based on income, so I can go there to get a scan to make absolutely sure, they just can't fix it surgically at said facility.
working 12 hours a day and no insurance? any chance you were in the military?
I work anywhere from 6 to 8 hours a day at my normal job, and I also work with my future father in law at his scrap yard. I drive the truck while he loads up materials that he takes in to recycle. Only reason I drive is because he's a stubborn old bastard who lost his license years ago so he needs someone to drive, plus he gives me a percentage of his profit on all the stuff that he recycles. As for the main job, I won't be eligible to enlist for medical benefits until I get married since that's the only qualifying event for coverage that is coming up anytime soon.

Aug 14, 2012
I have had a hernia for 60+ years. Do not intend to get an operation. I control it by wearing adequate support.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I had a double inguinal hernia back fixed in 93 and just now about 6 months ago im having pain where the mesh is. I guess the dr said its like a big ball of scar tissue. Only my left side hurts not the right. You should be fine. Prayers to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.