PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I frequent antique stores, pawn shops, yard sales, etc., looking for pipes and other oddments. I see a lot of junk pipes and once in awhile find something decent but today I found the deal of the century, probably one of the best pipe finds I've had antquing. I got two pipes for $25. The first I got a Manx African Meerschaum for $5. It is an English company that made their meers out of Tanzanian block meer. It is in super shape, barely smoked, with a brass band. Stem needs cleaned and de-oxidized but $5 bucks. Second pipe I got was a very nice Nording. I looked at the tag which said Nording $20, I couldn't believe it, I was like this can't be a Nording, but it is. And it has a sterling band. It is also lightly smoked. It has a lucite bit so a little cleaning and it will be good as new. I'll probably sell the Meer to cover my costs once I get it cleaned. And if you made a purchase the guy had a whole stack of Pipes and Tobacco magazines, and you could take one for free, so I chose the one with the LOTR article, I'm a LOTR junkie as you can see from my quotes. Here is a pic of what I scored.

453ba4fcd2435d9999fd217a0e56378d.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thats true TopD we'll see, I have to be creative with my PAD as I'm on a tight budget, been wanting a Nording for some time, the issue of P&T is Winter 2002

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
As a fellow pawn/antique/flea market pipe hunter, I tip my cap. What a score, and a magazine to boot!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Did some more research turns out this company made pipe bowls for Peterson when you could still get African Meer, but the supply either ran out or became inaccessible so they went out of business.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Now that just plain pisses me off Dave! Also turns me green with envy! :x I have never-ever found a decent pipe at a flea market or antique store! Good score! :clap:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I once bought a Bjarne freehand for 45 bucks at an antique store, but ive looked at hundreds of pipes all over the place at antique stores and they are always just grabows or kaywoodies, I never see stuff like this. He had some nice Bertrams too, I have one that Bradley sent me smokes good too, but he wanted between 30-40 for most of those, people just don't know much about pipes which I thought was odd as he had a stack of about 50 pipe and tobacco magazines. Oh well, can't wait to smoke my Nording going out to clean it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Just polished what I thought was a brass ring on the meer, but its silver, its not marked sterling but is a nice shiny silver color, now for the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.