Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

De-Stressing With SPC PP SR - Why I Smoke

(7 posts)
  1. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I'll admit, I'm not a smoker. I've enjoyed cigars since I was 16 or so (I'm 44 now) and had a pipe for a few years but I've never been a regular smoker.

It's been a long few weeks at work and I'm working through the weekend. Lots of stress.

I've always known smoking something better as a way of relaxing. Tonight was my first bowl of SPC PP SR and it is taking relaxation to a whole new level. I'm not sure there's a wrong way to smoke this. I just shaved a bit off the cake, rubbed it out a bit and stuffed my pipe. A Dunhill smooth Chestnut 5313 with a Cumberland stem. Sure I have a glass of Guinness foreign extra stout to go with it but this blend needs nothing to go with it.

Tangy, fruity, a bit smokey, and oh so slightly sweet. It likes a gentle pace but doesn't have any issues with a slightly overdone puff. No relights or even tamping for some time. Relaxation on a whole new level. No muss no fuss.

This isn't a review, just a bit of commentary. I hope everyone gets a chance to unwind and decompress like this, wether it be with this blend or another. So I end with paraphrasing the imortal Red Green, "on behalf of myself, we're all in this together, keep your stick on the ice".

Salud!

PS:. Imma need a few more tins of this stuff.

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

At 44 myself, I'm a regular smoker, but I understand the unwinding with a pipe. Were it not for that, many coworkers would be having boots surgically removed from their behinds.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Put the Guinness in a proper glass

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

Yeah that SPC PP SR is some special stuff. After my son introduced me to it earlier this year I've been cellaring deep.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

I've fantasised that I end up as a guest on the radio show for some reason (can't imagine what that would be, but whatever) and my answer for the fast five final question "when it's time to relax..." would be "smoke a pipe and stare at the wall". No screens, no books, no music. Just intentional breathing and tasting, occasional tamping.

It's an experience that is in every way different from the rest of my daily activities, and is an excellent de-stresser for me. Even though I try not to dwell on any particular issue, it's when I come up with some of my best solutions for whatever is spinning around in the back of my mind at any given moment.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bravo! Quips and quotes for commodious contemplation. Cheers.

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shanez, I think your ritual is important. Most of us dutifully march through what needs to be done, and many things we enjoy doing, and stay pretty much outside ourselves while we interact with the world. To finally sit down (or stand up, or whatever) and reconvene as ourselves with our own thoughts is extremely important. It takes some doing, and your photo pictures one good way to do it.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   5star, cortezattic, peckinpahhombre, timt, jeff540, pappymac, lasttango, celticbrewer