PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
CNN) -- Here's some background information about Daylight Saving Time, a system to reduce electricity usage by extending daylight hours.
Facts:

Sunday, November 2, 2014 - Daylight Saving Time will end at 2 am. Set clocks back one hour.
Sunday, March 8, 2015 - Daylight Saving Time begins at 2 am. Set clocks ahead one hour.
It is "Daylight Saving Time" (singular), not "Daylight Savings Time" (plural).
Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time starts in the United States on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November.
Timeline:

1784 - The idea of daylight saving is first conceived by Benjamin Franklin.
1914-1918 - Britain goes on DLS during World War I.
March 19, 1918 - The Standard Time Act establishes time zones and daylight savings. Daylight savings is repealed in 1919, but continues to be recognized in certain areas of the U.S.
1945-1966 - There is no federal law regarding Daylight Saving Time.
1966 - The Uniform Time Act of 1966 establishes the system of uniform Daylight Saving Time throughout the U.S. The dates are the last Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October. States can exempt themselves from participation.
1974-1975 - Congress extends DLS in order to save energy during the energy crisis.
1986-2006 - Daylight Saving Time begins on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October.
August 8, 2005 - President George W. Bush signs the Energy Policy Act of 2005 into law. Part of the act will extend Daylight Saving Time starting in 2007, from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.
2007 - Under the new laws, all of Indiana now observes Daylight Saving Time, where only certain areas of the state did before.
Exceptions in the U.S.:

In the U.S., Hawaii and most of Arizona do not follow DLS.
The U.S. territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and American Samoa also do not observe DLS.
What countries follow Daylight Saving Time?

About 70 countries around the world observe DLS.
Many countries near the equator do not adjust their clocks for daylight saving.
Neither China nor Japan observe DLS.
Some countries refer to "Daylight Saving Time" as "Summer Time." :puffy:

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Our province is geographically in the Mountain Standard Time zone, but observes Central Standard Time year round. So effectively we are on DST for the whole year. We don't screw around with our clocks like some of you other chumps.
Just think of the electricity and candles we save! Ben Franklin would be proud.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the DST info, interesting. Just realized this myself. In the old days when I drank, we would pay the bartender extra for that hour. Today it's the extra hour of sleep that I really like.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I dunno.
i seem to zap the same wattage each month, drive the same miles each day and stay awake the same hours each night no matter what standard I'm on.
sometimes (tinfoil hats aside), i wonder who is saving what.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Changing all my "dumb" clocks, timers, and wrist watches is a PITA.
Let's stop this Daylight Savings Time crap already!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't like standard time, the dark in early evening, feeling like it's ten o'clock when it's seven. It emphasizes

the short days even more. I'm one of these people who has to go out and walk in the sunlight or I get feeling

down. I like it when the daylight still lingers at six again.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
*glances at his cock that still read 12:39am* I should probably change that. I remember reading that in AZ its possible for the time to change four times in a single drive.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
I live on the Navajo rez. Yes, there is Daylight Savings Time here. But not on the Hopi rez. So, in Arizona, you can drive from the Navajo rez where there is DST, then on to the Hopi rez where there is not and the time changes again. Then back on to the Navajo rez and the time changes again, then off the Navajo rez on to non-rez land and the time changes once more. But right now the time is the same throughout the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.