PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
I just found an old tobacco pouch (leather outside/rubber inside). How long will tobacco stay fresh in one of these ? A day ? A couple days ? A week ?
So far I have found that more than a week and the tobacco starts getting very dry......so if I move some from a jar to this pouch.......I need to smoke it pretty ASAP !!!
Thoughts on tobacco pouches please.....

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I have a pouch and all the tobacco that ends up in it, never gets that dry to me. However, as far of the length of time that it holds it's freshenss is based on a few different factors.

1) ambient temerature (if youre in a humid place it may keep more moist than somewhere arid. some goes with hot and cold.

2) the blend ( some tobaccos dry out quite a bit faster than others, nothing you can really do about that)

3) how often do you open it

4) quality of the pouch and seal
Obviously there are other variables that may affect you more or less than others, these just tend to be the most common. Hope this helps a bit.

The guys that I meet at pipe club meetings and just hanging out at The Briary, that use a pouch, tend to put aromatics bought in bulk to fill it. And, family that used to smoke a pipe used one, but they only ever had access to codger blends, as there wasn't pipe shops out in the country. These are all more moist and laden with PG's to keep them from drying out.
I tried to carry one for a little while. The loose cuts that I smoke, just dried out too fast, probably because they don't have the PGs. I still will use one for flakes occasionally, when out and about, because I like my flakes dried very well before smoking. But, since I don't like to smoke just one flake all day every day, I don't use it all the time. Also, flakes don't stay flakes for very long in it, ha ha.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The oil skin pouches tend to work pretty well and if you add a couple of those aluminum discs filled with some form of clay that you soak in water into the pouch you should be just fine. The leather pouches have never worked for me and any of the leather ones people have given me I have long ago regifted as I have found they dry out tobacco as fast as anything ever invented.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I use my pouch for aromatics or English blends. I only carry an ounce of tobacco at a time, and I haven't had an issue I think it's good if the tobacco gets a little dry.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
At home I smoke right from the tins or jars that my tobacco is stored in. I do have a nice black leather Brigham pouch that I use when I go out for the evening or if I take a trip somewhere. Usually it's an aromatic blend in the pouch and it will keep well for up to a couple weeks most of the time. I don't mind if the tobacco gets a bit dry as it still is quite smokable dry as far as I'm concerned. :puffy:

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I use them when traveling, I'll keep a couple of days worth of smoke in them with out a problem. They won't work for more than two or three days, but I'll even use them for camping. The best ones I've found have the latex lining in them those seem to really work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.