PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I'm about a mile off the Missouri myself, and our bike trail runs right along it. One of my favorite places in town! Edward Abbey, Henry Thoreau, Mark Twain, Kenneth Grahame, Herman Hesse...There's just something irresistible about rivers...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Mighty Mississip. Hypnotic just to watch ... how many tons of water per second glide past in a show of astonishing power. My wife reported the '93 flood up near her home place in Missouri near the Iowa border for an East Coast paper where she worked and was nearly be-headed when the power boat in which she was riding sped under low-hanging power lines too fast. Two days later, she was back out in it with her throat stitched up and her neck and head all bruised. The ER doc, when told she was born there, said, you won't die here, not today.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
A good bit northwest of there, Booker! I'm in Sioux City, IA. We had bad flooding up here too, a couple years back. The navigation channel maintained by the USACE runs from here to St. Louis.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Happy Birthday to you!! Looks like a great place to refresh ones soul. :puffy:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tarak:
Congratulations on another year! What a delightful way to celebrate.
When I lived in Rochester (2006 - 2010) one of my favorite weekend drives was up Highway 63 to Lake City, and then Highway 61 along the river into Red Wing. There were some good antique shops in both places. Thank-you, too, for that last image, as it was good to again see the St. James and the Iron Works building. I drank many a cup of coffee at the Caribou inside of the old train station.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I had to look up Red Wing Iron Works to see if they were still in business because I never heard of them. That then told me where you are, tarak.
Booker, I have biked the Katy from Clinton to Jefferson City a couple of times, but never got to the stretch from Jeff to St. Charles. Always caught the Amtrak back home as planned.

sagepipe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2014
I bet the famous steamboat pilot, Mr. Samuel Clemens, smoked a pipe near that very place.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I bet the famous steamboat pilot, Mr. Samuel Clemens, smoked a pipe near that very place."
If memory serves as to what I have read concerning that period of Mr. Clemens' life, then I do not beleve that he ever worked the Upper River (at least not that far north) as pilots then referred to it. I further believe that his piloting was confined to runs on the Lower River between the termini of New Orleans and St. Louis.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Booker,
Before they built the new bridge across the river at Jeff City & to discourage you from riding a bike across the old narrow bridge, they installed a pay phone on the trail. You would call the cab company and tell them you had a bike, for a ride to the Amtrak station. They would send a cab with a bike rack on the front bumper to pick you up. When you boarded the train you would rack your bike on the landing between train cars for the trip home.
I always enjoyed it, camping out two nights along the trail making it a 2-1/2 day trip. You could probably make it from Clinton into Jeff City in 2 long days but you would have missed the afternoon train & just have time to kill until the next day, anyway.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Tarak, great pics. Blissful place to smoke a pipe, down by the river. All your pics look sharp and very clean.
The Arkansas rolls and meanders 3 miles from my home town. It made for many memories growing up on the river. I need to get out there for a bowl. Presently the Kaw Dam is open letting water downstream to Keystone Dam and then to Port of Catoosa at Tulsa.
Johnnyreb, that sounds like a great way to bike and see the country.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Johnnyreb, that sounds like a great way to bike and see the country.
I've biked on day trips on the Katy several times usually using the trailhead at Rocheport. That stretch is so beautiful especially in the fall. There is a bed & breakfast down there that stays booked up that time of year. Both times I biked Clinton to Jeff I went alone and really enjoyed the solitude. When I got back to the Amtrak station in KC I would have 18-20 miles to ride home on city streets & highways, but it was okay. I've biked several other trails around the Midwest also.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Tarak,
Do people live on those houseboats on the upper Mississippi River year around or winterized them? I know there are marinas that specialize in houseboats and it's quite popular. Are there any lock & dams north of the one at Alton, IL? We locked thru Alton in a 19' bass boat one time, with a tugboat & barge at the same time. It took about 45 min. Now that was an experience!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Johnnyreb- I don't think anyone here lives year round. Houseboats are more like people's lake cabin. Not sure about locks-we are actually prett new to the area!

Status
Not open for further replies.