Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Hi guys,
I got a new pipe that I've really enjoyed smoking with all different tobaccos!
Question, I've been smoking the same pipe for 4 days in a row, besides jealousy by the other pipes in my collection, is there really any need to switch it out, and give that one a break?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Todd

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Some will say yes, they need rest. But I don't believe that, as long as you run a pipe cleaner through it occasionally. I usually smoke the same pipe for weeks at a time. And only once and a while switch it out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sometimes I will smoke two bowls per day for a week in the same pipe, then give it a week's rest before smoking it again.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have been smoking the same pipe now for three days straight (Peterson Dracula) loaded with St Bruno. A pipe cleaner run through it every couple of bowls is all it needs. I think people can sometimes be a little precious about resting - pipes can generally take the punishment (in moderation of course).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You can chuff a cob all day everyday with minimal difficulty.

A meer too, will permit repeated or continued smoking w/o much problem.

A briar however, typically has a more narrow draft than a cob and the wood, though absorbent to a degree, does get moist if you aren't a very deliberate puffer.

With maintenance, a pipe can be smoked regularly without problem.

I do tend to develop moisture in the bottom of some pipes more than others, and I rest those more often.

As long as the quality of your smoke isn't degraded, why not continue using one particular pipe?

I have so many pipes that I usually don't smoke the same one twice in a row, although I will smoke it multiple times in a day if I feel like it. I like to try to give them all opportunities to show me their good side.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am not into the pipe lore and fixed procedure thing ... but i have found that if I continuously smoke a pipe, it will need a major cleaning sooner than if I give it breaks in between smokes. Generally I leave a pipe to rest for as many days as bowls smoked in a particular day, but if I want to smoke a particular pipe I smoke that pipe anyway - even if it didn't have its rest.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Thats a norm for me.
Pipe cleaners, and let the pipe cool down between smokes. I've never had an issue. Aside from having to ream my pipes every few weeks.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Here is an man that can answer your question, "Old Man And Old Pipe". This title of a post is here somewhere in the forum.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
It probably depends on the pipe, the smoker, and the blend. The pipe will let you know when it needs a break. After a couple of times of the pipe telling you "Enough!", you'll know how far you can push it.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
As long as its dry, just keep smoking it. Briar is a lot more durable then you might think. Back when I started 50+ yrs ago and before pipe forums, I had only one pipe and smoked multiple bowls from it day in and day out. I didn't have any problems, but eventually bought a cob to let my briar dry out because I switched from smoking OTC burley blends like PA & CH to the more goopier blends like Captain Black.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

No. If it continues to smoke well for you then no.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Problem solved, a new estate pipe arrived from England today, an 8.5" Canadian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.