PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
One of the stops for the day was at A La Civette- one of the more well known pipe shops in town…They had a good selection of tobaccos at typical Eu pricing. I'm going to take a pic of their shelves today to see if anyone can identify some tobaccos that we can't get in the US
The second and 3rd shot are from L'Oriental founded in 1818. The experience is totally overwhelming- thousands of pipes from very old to brand new scattered in piles everywhere. The shop is probably 40' long and no more than 10' deep. Rakel, the owner, emerged from behind a pile of junk and treasures and greeted us at the door. I'll go back today with a flashlight so I can hopefully find a couple of keepers…
…and the final shot- enjoying some blanco and rouge porto along with some Stonehaven in one of my Turtles….
Life is good!
2pt0w2o.jpg

9uxmph.jpg

71u61t.jpg

jigdw1.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"A La Civette"
This translates to "A Civet." Webster defines a civet as, "a wild animal that is like a cat and that has a long body, short legs, and a long tail." It is the Asian Palm Civet which eats coffee beans which are then digested and subsequently defecated, then gathered to make Kopi Luwak, a coffee bean prized by certain connoisseurs.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I love the look of them French Beer glasses! They seem to have allowed y'er beers to go flat though.

Surprising to see Killian's in Paris.

I see you're enjoying some wonderful sights! Thanks for sharing.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
coffee beans which are then digested and subsequently defecated, then gathered to make Kopi Luwak, a coffee bean prized by certain connoisseurs.
I must have been drinking that this week, because the coffee tastes like a cat crapped in it….
love the look of them French Beer glasses
Don't have pics, but we closed out the night at the Guiness Tavern -great beer and live music! Almost were kicked out by the time we finished at 2:00 because Greta was dancing in the aisle- apparently, the French are not overly fond of public displays of enthusiasm….:)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo zack'n Greta - great updates to a fun trip. As to PDE (Public Displays...), did you know that some of the young spooning couples you see around the the touristy areas, suitable for photo opps, are paid by city of Paris's chamber of commerce? It's good for the image.
hp

les

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
zack24:
My eldest brother and his family vacationed in Paris this summer, and he purchased for me a pouch of Schippers Tabak Speciaal. I was amused to note the obligatory health warning on the back of the package. It was not the typical "Smoking will kill you" variety, but rather an image of a distraught young couple, obviously in bed, and below it was the legend, "Fumer peut diminuer l'afflux sanguin et provoque l'impuissance."

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
That looks beautiful. We just returned from a couple weeks in the UK and would love to go to Paris next. Hope your trip is safe and amazing. Enjoy and happy international smoking!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Zach, it all looks wonderful. How did you find that shop? And who is that beautiful, lucky woman on your arm? You need a beret and a garret, and all will be copacetic..
You can keep my bicycle, all my records and tapes

Might seem sentimental or sound like sour grapes

Sell my clothes and furniture or give 'em to the Goodwill store

I'm goin' overseas I'm not comin' back anymore
Maybe it's a little romantic for a middle-age man like me

I'm gonna be an expatriot just you wait and see

Livin' in a Garret in Paris a House-Boat in Amsterdam

Smokin' a beard, growin' a pipe, doin' the best I can
Like Gauguin I'm a gonna go to Tahiti, wait & see

Find a little brown skin girl to fall in love with me
For years and years you're gonna wonder just where I've gone

Maybe when I'm eighty years old I'll come back home