PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So, remember I got my morta this week and the stem was already oxidizing? Well, I couldn't stand to part with it after waiting so long to get it, so I just decided to jump into fix it mode. I grabbed a magic eraser and with some hot water, didn't take long to remove the oxidation. Then I used the finer grit micro mesh to flush out the finish.
I bought a polishing wheel for my drill a few months ago and used the white rouge polish on a cloth wheel to buff it to a beautiful shine. I don't know where my other oils went, so I just splashed on and wiped off some olive oil just to give it that lasting shine. I'm keeping it in its pouch in a closed box when not in use and will likely just get a stem sock at some point just to protect it from sunlight. I'd really love to display this beauty.
Before:

4-600x414.jpg

After:

20190727_154040-450x600.jpg

20190727_154058-488x600.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Looks great! Nice job! I'll be starting a similar little project myself shorty with a little post transition Barling I scooped up for $20 on ebay (see below). Mine is in a little rougher shape, and the bowl needs some work too, but I'll definitely be getting started on the stem first. Was going to do an oxi-clean bath, but I might take a stab with a magic eraser first after seeing this, just to take care of the big stuff anyway. Thanks for sharing!
bent-barling-1-600x450.jpg

bent-barling-2-600x450.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now THERE'S the icing on that cake. Looks great! Thumb buff the stem periodically with plain white toothpaste during cleanings and you'll keep it looking like a black mirror for years.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Was going to do an oxi-clean bath, but I might take a stab with a magic eraser first after seeing this, just to take care of the big stuff anyway.
Yeah, I have yet to do one of those soaks on a stem. I think the eraser does a great job of removing just enough material to get rid of the oxidation. It take a little time to get it all, but pay attention to the eraser. As you remove the oxidation, the eraser will be brown in the areas of use. Just keep going until it no longer looks brown when you rinse it and you should have it all off. I love using it to clean away the oxidation, but if you have a lot and it runs deep, it might need a soak. On this one, it was fairly shallow, so it took me less than a half hour to scrub it off. Good luck in your cleaning!
Thumb buff the stem periodically with plain white toothpaste during cleanings and you'll keep it looking like a black mirror for years.
I'll remember that and use it going forward with this one and another one I have prone to oxidation. Thanks Duane!

Status
Not open for further replies.