PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Last week I was visiting pipe shop, I found there 4 Davidoff pipes; 1 canadian, 1 lovat coganc, and two billiards, all are hand crafted. Their prices are really high, starting from 496$ up to 712$. Do davidoff pipes worth that money? I think it is very expensive, does anyone tried the davidoff pipes before?

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have one and in my opinion there is nothing special about it, the stem is handcut black lucite, I'm not keen on this, I would sell it but it was a gift from a loved one, it looks nice in my collection but it will remain in it's almost unsmoked condition.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I wouldn't buy a pipe made from unobtainium that was always full of Lane 1Q for $712. But I'm not wealthy
I just had a quick look at P&C, and in my humble opinion, they aren't deserving of those prices.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@tobakenist
as per your experience I wouldn't think of buying such one.
@zanthal
happy to read your precious opinion, it was my opinion too not to waste money buying such pipe. I would spend this money on Dunhil (but I'm not wealthy too) as I'm sure its briar is perfect but not davidoff, they are always expensive even in the tobacco.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
yeah well you know what they say about opinions. I was trying to be funny.
I tend to think that the small time crafters, like Dejarnett and other makers that don't produce nearly as many pipes per year, put the big guys with the big price tags to shame.
You can tell when a pipe has had a lot of handmade TLC put into it.
pentangle's pipes are a good example

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They are curiously priced close to Dunhills. They seem to prefer the odd (to me) upside down saddle stem. I wonder who makes them?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Dear Mr. Mike,
I appreciate your kind reply, and I didn't try to buy a pipe from ebuy (frankly I don't know how to do LOL), and here in Saudi where I work there are only two pipe shops and aren't that big, so selection is very limited. I count on my business trips to Dubai and Europe or my vacations in Egypt (my homeland). I think I have to try buying through this respective site.
I feel the joy of refurbishing pipes as I did for some estates of my father. He is an old pipe smoker, more than 20 years and his collection is very wonderful, I usually refurb some of his estates for his use.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm fairly sure that there is no Davidoff pipe factory - somebody makes the pipes for them. Possibly somewhere in Italy (given the lucite stems).
Tobakenest, does yours have a mark noting where it was made?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
dear Mr. Mike,
I will follow your advice, and buy couple of estates to work with, and I will post you pics of my dad's collection and the refurbed pipes i've done with. Btw, the pipe in my avatar is Peterson's SH baker street, it is my best pipe and the closest to my heart.
Hany Mamdouh

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Do davidoff pipes worth that money?
I always say it's a personal choice. It all depends how much you are able and want to spend. Some people swear by Dunhill's, others say they smoke no better than their $80.00 Stanwell. The name requires the high price, just as their cigars do. I have no experience with their pipes so I cannot answer but if you like it and you can afford it, go for it!

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Here's mine, it doesn't often see the light of day, as I said, a present, I just don't get on with it.
P1010001-5.jpg

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@smokenscotch
I think i will go better to spend money i have buying tobacco rather than davidoff pipe. Maybe someday i will buy one if i will be that rich man.
@tobakonist
Yours is the same i ve found in the shop. It is 1860$. I beleive the one who gifted it to you loves you too much.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Would you trust a world renowned fashion designer and perfume maker (Davidoff Cool Water is their flagship perfume) to make pipes?
Personally, I think they've let their fame and fortune falsely inflated ego from the fashion world flow over into their smoking side of the business.
It's a bit like Designer extraordinaire, Georg Jensen, from silver candelabra, to jewellery to ornaments, to pipes!

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have a posting on a pipe stand for over 500 bucks. your shelling out the big bucks for rha name nothing more.

there are pipes in the 50 to 100 buck range just as good

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This has been discussed fairly often, jaysin, and we all make our own decisions about how much we want to spend on our hobby, but the statement that a 50 to 100 dollar pipe is "just as good" as a higher end pipe is just not true.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Jaysin,
A Peterson Donegal billiard is a great pipe and well worth the price. But if you compare it to, say, a Brian Ruthenberg billiard, the Ruthenberg will have a tighter mortice to tenon fit, a wider more open airway, and a more comfortable, hand-made bit with a trumpeted button. It’s just the difference between a something made in a factory and something made by hand.
Now perhaps these features aren’t important to you, but that’s not the same as being “just as good”.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
My issue with the Davidoff pipes is that I don't know which "master artisans" are involved Davidoff is a "brand", an affiliation, not a "pipe maker".

In my opinion (and for my money), theyre pricy for cookie-cutter, machine made pipes.

You could get a 5C Cavicchi for the same money as the top of the line Davidoff. Claudio makes 600 pipes a year every pipe is made with his hands Davidoff pipes are cranked out in a machine shop by one of who knows, maybe 100 employees.

What it really comes down to, is what you like. A good deal, is when you get what you want for a price youre willing to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.