PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Towards the beginning of my long and storied pipe collecting career, perhaps the second of all six months, I won an auction for a "trio of Davidoff Billiards". I paid around $60/per. I'm not looking to start a debate on the merits of overly priced factory made pipes. It so happens these are three very nice looking billiards and I very much like the shape of the stem. What are these stems called? I smoked them for the first time today and based on my limited knowledge, they are damn nice pipes, especially for $60 apiece!!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not sure if it is a technical term or not but reverse half saddle may be one way to describe them. I say reverse because the cut-away is generally on top of the stem. Those are nice looking pipes, by the way.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Those are great looking pipes and the retail cost on those must be at least multiplied by a factor of 10 of what you paid for them. The best news is you like how they smoke! Sounds like you made out pretty well.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Reverse half saddle huh? Thanks!! They are my least expensive pipes which makes me a lot more comfy smoking them. Thanks guys!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I recently bought an estate Davidoff in the apple shape with the same stem. I suppose it´s just a design idea that should be typical to Davidoff but I like it nevertheless. I got mine, just lightly smoked together with the original Davidoff leather pipe pouch (for two pipes) for a mere 50 Euros. They set you back here in Germany with about 300 to 400 Euros! 8O Mine needs still the gentle touch but I hope that I will find the time for it soon.
Your Billiards look gorgeous and I am sure you can´t go wrong with $60.00! :puffy:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Great catch! I got a black sandblasted billiard a couple of weeks ago for $76 off of eBay. Looks like it was never smoked. Great dry smoke. Might have been over-priced when new but a good deal from my point of view. There are still bargains to be had out there...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's funny how a Davidoff pipe, new off the showroom floor would be seen as overpriced garbage. However, when had at a far lower price, they are pretty decent damn pipes. I own a few very nice Dunhills and I'd rate these Davidofffs as equally nice to smoke. Obviously they lack the history and pedigree of Dunhill which you pay a premium for, but the Davidoffs are damn good pipes in my eye. I really like what I assume is their signature stem shape.
I'd love to see photos of other Davidoffs so please post if you have any!

Status
Not open for further replies.