PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I just enjoyed a bowl of Davidoff's Flake Medallions. I really like this tobacco! Very elegant and 'subdued' compared to others of this vein. For those who have tried both, how does Peter Stokkebye's Bulls eye flake compare? The price difference is enticing and I think I heard somewhere that both are manufactured at Orlik. Is it possible to have champagne tastes on a beer budget?
Thanks in advance for taking the time on this noob question!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's a question that gets asked pretty often. I'd say Davidoff is a bit more refined and smooth (or maybe it's just been sitting unsold in the tin longer and therefore aged), while the LBF is fresher, zestier and has a more prominent fruitiness in the cavendish center. But they're very similar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't tried the Davidoff, but a Forums member just sent me PS coins and I suspect most pipe smokers would be pleased with this blend, refined but lively.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I don't see much difference personally so the edge goes to Bullseye in my book based on price. If you pop the cavendish out of bullseye you (I) get a slightly different taste.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks all! It sounds like maybe PS Bullseye falls somewhere between Davidoff Medallions and Escudo. For those who have tried all three (or just bullseye and Escudo) does this sound about right?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'd say Escudo is a totally different animal from the other two. Not only does it lack the cavendish center, but it's just in a class of its own. It's one of the few tobaccos that I've smoked from the start and still enjoy. It's just that good. For me, the flavor just pops.
I'd recommend getting a tin of Escudo and some LBF to compare. The difference between LBF and Davidoff Flake Medallions is pretty subtle, so if price is an issue for you, then I wouldn't bother.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I'd say Escudo is a totally different animal from the other two. Not only does it lack the cavendish center, but it's just in a class of its own. It's one of the few tobaccos that I've smoked from the start and still enjoy. It's just that good. For me, the flavor just pops.
+1
Pitchfork nailed it

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and I absolutely LOVE it.
I have a tin of Escudo, but I was given strict instructions to cellar it for a year.
I also have a tin of Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls, which I've heard is pretty close to Escudo. That might be the next tin I crack since I'm basically twitching like a crack fiend waiting for the Escudo to age.
Davidoff's Flake Medallions is on my wishlist and will be included in my next TAD.
Since it's so cheap, I'd say buy 4oz of Stokkebye's LBF. Jar up 2oz of it and then enjoy the other 2oz fresh. Let the jar sit for about six months and then compare it aged a bit to the Davidoff.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm basically twitching like a crack fiend waiting for the Escudo to age.
Fresh Escudo is still amazing stuff. In fact, I sometimes crave the fruity smell of a fresh tin over an aged one. I say buy another tin and crack it straight away.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks again everybody!
I do have a stack of Escudo tins in my 'cellar'. I find it sometimes a bit too sweet and gummy, so I sometimes reach for the jar of Davidoff instead. These days I'm stocking up on favs since blenders seem to be dropping like flies right and left. The Davidoff is on my next purchase short list but if I can be content with PS BEF that frees up a lot, and I mean A LOT, of dough for other purchases... Like Sam Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth blends before the merger!

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Personally I like PS LBF most not only for budget but taste.

Aging from 1.5 lbs box of LBF make far different from origin every year.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have had all 3 (FM, LBF, Escudo) and love them all. I agree Escudo is different, but to answer the original question; I think you can't go wrong with either choice. I would agree with the earlier comment that LBF is a bit more zesty and the FM a bit more smooth. My LBF has a bit of age on it so there's really no difference for me.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks again everyone.
Metalhead - thrilled to hear that the differences between LBF and FM diminish with age. I have no problem stashing a pound of LBF while I enjoy other things. And at 1/4 the price of the Davidoff I'll be able to buy other things on my must-have list. Rock on!
What a friendly forum I've found!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I have not tried Davidoff's Flake Medallions, but that comes in a tin and PSLBF is sold in bulk that is probably why it is cheaper now I will have to buy some Davidoff's to see if their is a differance. Bullseye flake is one of my favorite blends and I smoke it often.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I have some 2 year old PS LBF coming so I can directly compare to the Davidoff. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.