PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Does anyone have a David Jones pipe? What do they usually cost new? How do they smoke? If you know anything about the "plateau briar" he uses, please let me know.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Here's mine, Got it over 6 months ago, still unsmoked
DJpipe.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Researched plateau briar. It seems that it is the rough outside of the root. Some very good pipemakers use it. Then I got Mr. Jones on the phone and he said it was the best smoking briar. So I took a chance and bought one on Ebay, which is where he sells his pipes. Will let you know how it smokes when I get it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, congrats on your new pipe. I have seen his prices and for a hand made pipe like that it is a pretty darn good deal. I will be curious to hear how it smokes.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I too have been seriously contemplating buying one so I'm interested in the review as well.
Thanks in adavance,

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a very large Poker. It is not marked XL, but it is huge. It smokes quite well and has held up beautifully. The draw could be a tad more open, which I may work on. I've had it about a year and a half. I think it was around $85. I like his stem work and the button. I have no idea what "plateau briar" is....
D_Jones_Poker_Gallery.JPG

Aug 14, 2012
Yes the David Jones pipe is here. I would say it is a very good value for the buck. It will take a while to break in, but should be a good smoker, not bad already. I don't pick up a taste from the stain. I like the slight strangeness of it. Mr. Jones says his blocks are aged at least 14 years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good news, I thought perhaps you were out of power or worse in NYC. I broke the stem of my David Jones on Halloween, but shipped it back to David yesterday for a new stem. My pipe also took a while to break in (similar to a Boswell) but once it did, became a fine smoker.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I found this interesting article about plateaux briar. I believe all the better pipe makers use this type for obvious reason. http://www.naspc.org/Archives/odyssey_3.html

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm gonna put mine up on ebay in the next few days...I have a unsmoked, look above and you will see a pic...
Was thinking briarbid, but I want more traffic...324 registered users will not make the cut for me...

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
David used to see his pipes at a Tinderbox here in Ohio. I had 8-9 or at one point, all good smokers. The construction was generally very good. I ended up trading most of them off because I went to smaller pipes, his are generally larger pieces. I think he gave up full time pipe making to devote more time to his band? Anyway, he is selling direct via eBay these days, not sure of any shops that carry his work. If you like bigger pipes, you will not be disappointed.
Mike

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting. I think he also makes guitars, hence the mother-of pearl fret style stem adornment. My pipe arrives in Texas on Monday, we'll see how long it takes to turn it around (no major hurry).
I asked David to return the broken stem. I think it could be made into an neat, matching tamper. I'll have to get some advice from brother ejames of tamper fame.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Plateau as mentioned is simply the outtermost cut of the briar burl. In fact many ebauchons (the squarer blocks) come from the same area but are oriented "sideways" to the grain rather than cut vertically.
Plateaus usually have nicer and straight grain than interior cuts, so it's easier to get a really pretty pipe out of a good plateau then a more randomly cut ebauchon.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
sjpipesmoker,
I'm so glad we were able to make a deal. This is one of the most beautiful Pipes I have ever purchased.
I look forward to many years of enjoyment and may only smoke Penzance in it.
My Sincere Thanks Again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I also rec'd my repaired pipe from David. He replaced the stem and it is as good as new. I'll be more careful in the future. My only complaint with his stem work is there is no "v" cut into the button. But, I put one in on the original stem with a needle file and will do so on the new one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.