David Jones pipes

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by foggymountain
  • Latest reply from ssjones
  1. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have a David Jones pipe? What do they usually cost new? How do they smoke? If you know anything about the "plateau briar" he uses, please let me know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

A lot of his new pipes are sold on eBay. So it is what the market will bear. A member of the forum just bought 2 Davey Jones pipes, but I am not sure if they where new or estate. His nic is flyfishn or something close to that, so shoot him a PM.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's mine, Got it over 6 months ago, still unsmoked

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Researched plateau briar. It seems that it is the rough outside of the root. Some very good pipemakers use it. Then I got Mr. Jones on the phone and he said it was the best smoking briar. So I took a chance and bought one on Ebay, which is where he sells his pipes. Will let you know how it smokes when I get it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

foggy, congrats on your new pipe. I have seen his prices and for a hand made pipe like that it is a pretty darn good deal. I will be curious to hear how it smokes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bigmike

bigmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too have been seriously contemplating buying one so I'm interested in the review as well.

Thanks in adavance,

"If you're going to be dumb, you had better be tough"
    "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Prices are certainly reasonable and look to be high quality. I'd prefer seeing some rubber stems instead of acrylic stems though, but the stems, too are hand-made and appear well done.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have a very large Poker. It is not marked XL, but it is huge. It smokes quite well and has held up beautifully. The draw could be a tad more open, which I may work on. I've had it about a year and a half. I think it was around $85. I like his stem work and the button. I have no idea what "plateau briar" is....

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Did your David Jones come in?

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have no idea what "plateau briar" is....

Here's something to wrap your mind around regarding "plateau briar".

http://www.jhlowe.com/briar.htm

Oh, and I'd ask the dude who thinks Plateau is the cat's meow (which it very well might be) where the briar comes from, how long it's aged, etc.

Personally, I don't think it matters that much, as the entire root is what's important to focus on. Wood is wood.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes the David Jones pipe is here. I would say it is a very good value for the buck. It will take a while to break in, but should be a good smoker, not bad already. I don't pick up a taste from the stain. I like the slight strangeness of it. Mr. Jones says his blocks are aged at least 14 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Good news, I thought perhaps you were out of power or worse in NYC. I broke the stem of my David Jones on Halloween, but shipped it back to David yesterday for a new stem. My pipe also took a while to break in (similar to a Boswell) but once it did, became a fine smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, I found this interesting article about plateaux briar. I believe all the better pipe makers use this type for obvious reason. http://www.naspc.org/Archives/odyssey_3.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm gonna put mine up on ebay in the next few days...I have a unsmoked, look above and you will see a pic...

Was thinking briarbid, but I want more traffic...324 registered users will not make the cut for me...

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

David used to see his pipes at a Tinderbox here in Ohio. I had 8-9 or at one point, all good smokers. The construction was generally very good. I ended up trading most of them off because I went to smaller pipes, his are generally larger pieces. I think he gave up full time pipe making to devote more time to his band? Anyway, he is selling direct via eBay these days, not sure of any shops that carry his work. If you like bigger pipes, you will not be disappointed.

Mike

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I think he also makes guitars, hence the mother-of pearl fret style stem adornment. My pipe arrives in Texas on Monday, we'll see how long it takes to turn it around (no major hurry).

I asked David to return the broken stem. I think it could be made into an neat, matching tamper. I'll have to get some advice from brother ejames of tamper fame.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sasquatch

sasquatch

Login to Send PM

Plateau as mentioned is simply the outtermost cut of the briar burl. In fact many ebauchons (the squarer blocks) come from the same area but are oriented "sideways" to the grain rather than cut vertically.

Plateaus usually have nicer and straight grain than interior cuts, so it's easier to get a really pretty pipe out of a good plateau then a more randomly cut ebauchon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That makes sense Sasquatch, thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. bigmike

bigmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sjpipesmoker,

I'm so glad we were able to make a deal. This is one of the most beautiful Pipes I have ever purchased.

I look forward to many years of enjoyment and may only smoke Penzance in it.

My Sincere Thanks Again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

David Jones has a few (rather large) brand new pipes on eBay now. This one is going for just over $100 and the auction ends in 5 hours. I'm not a much of an acrylic stem fan, but his are well-done and hand cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smoking-Pipe-David-Jones-Handmade-/300822797353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460a6f9c29

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I also rec'd my repaired pipe from David. He replaced the stem and it is as good as new. I'll be more careful in the future. My only complaint with his stem work is there is no "v" cut into the button. But, I put one in on the original stem with a needle file and will do so on the new one as well.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newbroom, metalheadycigarguy, bubblehead33, kris, glmpdv, yaboofive, ogdenspipedream, antbauers