PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd read good David Jones pipes and won this rusticated Poker last week. The wife snagged if from the mailbox and gave it to me this morning for Fathers Day.

1st impressions:

- Wow, it is much larger than I expected. I'm delighted as I like a beefy pipe. The fit & finish seem impeccable. This is very much like a JM Boswell Jumbo, but significantly less expensive.

- 1st smoke, some Boswell Blended Burley. The inside of the bowl appears to be finished and his ad advertises a treatment to not require break-in. Indeed, the first half-bowl smoke very well.

I'm very pleased and will have to get another David Jones. I see two smaller pipes just went off Ebay for less than $60.

If you like Boswell pipes, this maker will make you smile as well.

This dwarf's my Boswell freehand, which I thought was a large pipe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Draw is terrific, easily passes a cleaner (which my Boswells do not). Smokes great, can't wait till a nice cake builds up. I'm very pleased for the investment.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Very nice find at a great price. :puffy:
Regarding a pipe cleaner not easily passing through your Boswell's, I'd say something to the boys a Boswell on your next visit. A wide open draw is one of their selling points and I would hope they would correct the issue for you.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Great looking pipe - I will have to see if there any listed on Ebay in the future. ;-)

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I dont own any David Jones pipes, but I think big pipes are what he is known for.

Also if I'm not mistaken, his pipes are from 30-40 year old wood.

Supposed to be a lot of bang for the buck, I know a lot of his pipes sell really low on EBay if you watch them for a little bit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
He does only sell via Ebay now. Here's what is available currently:

http://shop.ebay.com/jones6725/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562
I did mention the cleaner issue to Alex at Boswell, he said some just don't and it wasn't an issue. I may have to ask JM himself on the next visit. The cleaner has a stick point right past the stem (on both pipes).

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I bought one from him around 8 months ago and looking to add another. I think he makes awesome pipes and the price is great as well. I think the stains he uses to accent the rustication always makes a sharp looking pipe.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
that is a very attractive chunk of briar!

and thanks for reminding me how much my collection needs a rusticated poker.

houstonron44

Lurker
Jun 12, 2011
Houston, TX
I have several of his pipes, one of which is an unsmoked billiard about the same size as your poker. I have not smoked it yet because it's so large I may not keep it. Generally his pipes are small to medium size and deliver a nice smooth smoke, especially if you use a Kohl activated filter. Kohl's filters are hard to find in the US.. I cannot seem to find a steady supplier even though, IMHO, they are the best. There are bargains on EBay but his better, unsmoked pipes can run well over $200 on EBay and used to retail in the $400s. I will say that the smoking characteristics vary a bit, pipe to pipe, but overall I would compare them to the old Webers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'll have to look for those Kohl filters, thanks for that tip. He seems to only list rusticated pipes on Ebay (which is what I wanted). Does he do other finishes?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This shop has a couple of David Jones for sale, in addition to a lot of other fine makers:

http://www.briarblues.com/northamerica.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.