Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with pipe maker David Huber of DSH Pipes. David has been making pipes since 2012 and specializes in mostly freehand, Danish style shapes, but he does have some standard shapes as well. In "Pipe Parts", since it's election day, we will have an informal survey; for example - we will ask the how, where, and when you smoke a pipe and other similar questions, and Brian will tell you his answers.
david-huber.jpg

David Huber

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I met Dave at the CORPS show in Richmond. Very talented and approachable guy! His pipes are definitely on my list of artisan must haves.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm listening right now. 10 minutes in. Asking about seasonal changes of backy, pipe shapes proclivity, frequency of use/smoke, general sort of a poll for listeners.
I've only been at this since May and I've already jumped in with both feet. That I am retired and live alone facilitates my immersion.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This David Huber is quite an interesting young fellow. I just finished listening to the interview and was fascinated to hear about his pipe journey. It seems in it's initial stages to have almost exactly paralleled my own.
In the 2013 Portfolio...those pipes are simply amazing. I really needed to take second looks at the Warthog and the Blasted Scoop. (btw...I'm a Gemini, if any of you all feel like Santa Claus :D) That Gemini was obviously brought to exceptional beauty. It won!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Radio Show Poll Answers
1. Started out with bent billiards and have ventured into many other shapes.

2. I typically only smoke aromatics. I will occasionally pop a tin of a Va or a VaBur etc. but it's not dictated by the season, just the mood I'm in.

3. Typically have 2-3 bowls a day 7 days a week.

4. I've fallen in love with many pipes. First I was huge on bent billiards and then it went to straight billiards and then bent apples and then straight apples. I was big into Peterson when I first started out, which I still love, but I've also gotten a hankering for getting some artisan pipes. For me what I'm into is ever evolving and ever changing.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Great show! Brian was witty as ever. David Huber was a good sport and took the jabs in stride. The crater rustication is so unique, makes me envious for one of the pipes.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
After a brief hiatus I've come back into my routine of downloading the Radio Show on Wednesday mornings and listening to the show on my commute. I finally caught up with all the shows from September forward with this week's broadcast. Thanks Brian, and Kevin, for continuing to inform and entertain. Brian, I'm not sure what you were hearing in your sound production that you didn't like, but you came through loud and clear on this end.
I am looking forward to your West Coast Pipe Show wrap up in next week's episode. I've been champing at the bit to get back to a pipe show since Chicago...
Radio Show Poll Answers
1. I started out impulse buying shapes that were interesting to me, with little thought to engineering or the guts of a pipe. These were aesthetic purchases. I am now purging most of that collection and focusing on four shapes; Canadians and Lumbermen, and Bulldogs and Rhodesians.

2. In college I smoked light aromatics. When I returned to pipe smoking I preferred tobaccos that were more robust and intense; so I quickly ramped up to Latakia forward blends especially those that included other Oriental leaf. In the last twelve months I've widened my flavour range considerably and have come to enjoy VA and VA/PER flakes, as well as the occasional VA/PER/BUR. Favourite blends today are HU Director's Cut, Haddo's Delight, Escudo, Tudor Castle and Peretti's Oriental #40.

3. I typically smoke a bowl per week.

4. After a couple years of cleaning up estate pipes, engineering and smoking quality have become really important to me. When I began upgrading my collection I was able to quickly discern the difference between well built pipes and the inferior pipes I had been smoking. In addition to the shapes mentioned above, I am working to collect a 7 day set of pre-WWII KB&B Drinkless pipes. I've also determined to commission two pipes per year from North American artisan carvers. Gotta keep those lads and ladies working!
-- Pat

revpipe

Lurker
Aug 10, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Radio Show Poll Answers

1. The majority of my pipes are bent but I also have a few straight pipes. I have diversity in styles: Bulldog, Apple, Volcano, Billiard, Egg, Acorn. Most are smooth but a few are rusticated. Most are briar, but a few are Meerschaum. Most are by Brigham or Savinelli, as I prefer filtered pipes.

2. I do not change tobacco with the changing of the seasons.

3. I smoke at least every evening. I smoke four of five bowls a week, but I am also a cigar smoker, so I do not smoke a pipe every evening; depends on my mood.

4. Yes, I remember wanting a bulldog and a lovat in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.