PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
That large Ferndown I ordered came today and it is a big one. This is it beside the Dunhill 3103, hence the name of the topic. What a good looking quality pipe it is and I think it'll be at least an hour or more smoker. Beautifully done literally from stem to bowl, inside and out.
I'm wondering if I should sweeten it up before smoking with some Clean & Cure or just fill 'er up and smoke it. A very special thanks to Harris for this recommendation and by the way, eat your heart out! :P
_DEF4555a.jpg

_DEF4546a.jpg

_DEF4549a.jpg

_DEF4548a.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Upon examination after my first smoke and cleaning it was that the air hole in the shank seems way off center to the point I can't pass a cleaner through the pipe. It hits a barrier and as I pulled the stem off with cleaner attached there was about 1/8"" of it at the end where it had stopped. Looking into the shank is when I saw the hole drilled off center. It draws good but it sort of bothers me the airway in the shank is off center. I tried the cleaner again and it passed but the airway in the shank and the stem can't line up perfectly since it's off center in the shank section.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a huge pipe. I am kind of surprised that it is drilled of center though. I will definitely have to check out the Ferndown I ordered Last Thursday before smoking it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
colcolt, does the pipe smoke dry? If it doesn't gurgle and you can pass a pipe cleaner even with a little twist, I wouldn't worry about it. I just checked both of mine and they are dead on. I am sure if it bothers you Maxim will work something out for you. It is a beautiful pipe. It is kind of weird that it would be off like that though.

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
Im sorry to hear ots drilled off center, thats always dissapointing to hear. But it is by all means a extremly good looking pipe.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Colcolt that is gorgeous. I dig those panels. Gives the bowl almost a "gem cut."

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a couple of pipes that are drilled off center... though none of them are the quality of those two you possess. Wouldn't let that get you down though, as long as you enjoy smoking from them. They are gorgeous.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
it seemed to smoke ok but I decided to email them anyway and ask what could be done about it. They replied and said they were getting ready to go to a pipe show but would check back with me and the solution when they got back. The only solution I know of is a replacement and I sure hate to do that.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I tried to take a few pics of this evening early before the sun went down but it's difficult getting enough light in there. You can tell just how far it's off by the overexposure I had to do on the second shot. The hole is right about where 12 o'clock would be on your watch.
I sent an email to them this afternoon and asked if there was something we could do and he said yes but that he'd get back with me after they returned from the pipe show. I'm not sure what he has in mind, however. I'd hate to send it back.
_DEF4568.jpg

_DEF4565a.jpg

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Better to send it back now than regret it a year form now IMHO. Unfortunately they are handmade and I hear they only make about 700 of them per year so you will probably just have to settle for your money back. I hope I'm wrong though. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Great looking pipe.
Is it funny that the huge chunk of wood you call a pipe is marked "Les Wood"?
Yes.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I was going to say I'll have to hand it to you, Spartan but this one is mine...all mine. Mwwwwwaaaaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.