PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Are these tobaccos as good as C&D, GLP or Solani, which is my ascending scale for quality?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You will need to decide that for yourself. My take is that they are different. Much less processed. As an intro, try the "Raccoon" series. Raccoon's Delight is a favorite of mine. And, by all and any means, if you can get your hands on some of Mark's Acadian Bright (Perique-processed Canadian-grown Virginia), do so. And buy it all.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have never tried D&R, C&D, or GLP's. Can't get them in Blighty. So despite having read thread after thread on those blenders, I have no idea how I would rate them compared to Solani which I rate near the top myself.
The problem is that until you try D&R for yourself you'll not know the answer to your question. I can't really see how you expect anyone to answer this for you.

I can’t tell for sure, because I smoke through pounds of D&R way too fast. I tear open a bag of Rimboche and in one long draw, I can pull a pound through my pipe. Almost hyperbole, but really, I blink and a whole bag has rolled though my pipe. Is it as good? As said, you’ll just have to see for yourself. I likesitalot! :puffy:
Expect it to be bone dry, and perfect to smoke at the getgo.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Can only compare it to C&D as I have not tried the other 2. Only D&R blend I've tried is Cockstrong. It was OK, but wouldn't say I liked it better. Of course, you have to compare against specific blends as opposed to blending houses and I only currently smoke 1 C&D blend. However, didn't desire to order Cockstrong again.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Another two thumbs up for Racoon's Delight, I really liked it (thanks JimInks!). :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like Mark's blends very much and have cellared quite a bit of it. Also, Mark sells a variety of blending tobaccos, many of which are used by C&D and other blenders for their own blends. Mark generally tins his tobaccos very dry, actually pretty much as they should be for optimum smoking flavor. Often this level of dryness is a shock to the neophyte as other tobaccos are tinned with extra moisture to ensure against their drying out in the tin. Marks tobaccos are ready to smoke right out of the tin and don't require any further drying out, nor rehydrating.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll always buy D&R's tobacco in tins. The the one time I purchased a 1-lb. bag, it had about a cup of useless mummy dust at the bottom. Dry is for smoking, not handling.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have 3-1 pound bags of D&R, or what's left of them.
I bought Cockstrong to begin learning about burleys.
I was surprised at how dry and unadorned it was when I got it.
It made me really stop and reevaluate my concept of smoking cadence. It was tricky at first, but has made me a better pipe smoker.
Then, I got a bag of Picayune and one of Ramback Balkan. Same dryness and lack of any detectable casing.
The perique in Picayune will singe your nose hairs and cure most of inhaling. After the abrupt beginning, though, one can usually find a unique and memorable second half to the bowl that will check your vitamin N box nicely.
The Ramback Balkan has been my Oriental training ground. Again, dry and plain leaf. Lots of sweet, spicy, sour stuff going on. It's my default "mindless" smoke when occupied online.
Where the fancy tins are like sitting down at a steakhouse with all the trimmings, D&R is like going to Gibb's house (on TV's NCIS) and getting that steak from his fireplace and a cold beer. Neither is "right" or "wrong" but each has its place in life.
Try one in a one pound bag. Tins are nice, but there's something satisfying about plunging your beater pipe into a huge bag, poking a thumbful of weed in and getting to the bottom, often from the char light. Not worrying if you drop a pinch because that pinch is worth a few pennies and not half a buck.
Sit your bag open on the porch during a humid day to dispel the crispies a bit, if you wish. That worked well for me.
jay-roger.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No, in my view. Beyond the botched Three Sails, the other blends I have tried have been mediocre. I love the blending Perique, but perhaps blending itself is beyond this house. Three Castles deserved a better tribute than this tripe and the charlatans that endorse it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't pay much attention to D&R blends until jiminks did some reviews and found quite a bit to recommend them. I haven't ordered any, but I would definitely consider them if I wasn't so well supplied. I smoke a bowl or two a day, with days off, so I am supplied for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.