PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Anyone pick up any of the D&R tobaccos while Pipesandcigars had them for 25% off?

I have never tried any of it before but rolled the dice and ended up ordering three 1lb. bags.

Ryback, Picayune and Don Giovanni Sigaro are the ones I ordered.

Any thoughts on these?

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
I have my eye on the Picayune to purchase, good reviews, sounds tasty.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The Picayune will singe your nose hairs the first time you try it. Take it easy! I like it when I really need a wake up call and nic hit.
The Ryback smelled like bacon to me when I first opened it. It's got a nice, chewy dark fired thing going on. Good, no nonsense with morning coffee smoke. I'm referring to the Ryback Regular, not the Gold, which has additional Virginia. Not tried that one yet.
I've not tried the third one.
All will seem excessively dry and uncased. It's not an error. That's how he does his tobacco. You'll need to slow your roll until you establish a modified cadence to appreciate them. Some folks will re-hydrate, but they are fine as they come, if you adapt.
Try packing a bit tighter than usual, if they seem to be burning up quickly. Expect 50-60% of the burn time you're accustomed to when you smoke it. Again, once you've recalibrated your cadence, you might get closer to 75% of the expected burn time, YMMV.
I like his stuff quite a bit, from the 3 or 4 I've tried. The Ramback Balkan is a blend of a couple of orientals and some Virginia. It's a nice, neutral "any time" smoke for me. If you're looking for the nuanced, layered taste experience, you'll be disappointed. If you just want to puff some simple "baccy", you'll love it.
I did sit all 3 bags of mine open on the front porch during a rain storm one day. After having them open for a while, I though a bit of moisture would be welcome. Honestly, I saw little difference.
Some will point out that there's gonna be up to an ounce of powdery "shake" near the bottom of the bag. I've not gotten there yet, but for $1.10 per ounce, I don't really care. I hope you enjoy it!
jay-roger.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been sitting on a cart load of D&R to order with this sale.

I really have committed to this brand's offerings.

I've enjoyed the Don Giovanni Siggaro by itself, and as a blending element.

Picayune is the strongest of their blends that I've tried, and I smoke it in smaller bowls or blend with it.

It took me awhile to 'learn' the 3 Sails blend of Virginia tobaccos, due to it's very fine cut, but it has been worth the trouble and now I find it a welcome 'team' member, and part of my 'rotation'.

The Rimboche line is terrific. A.P. S.J. and A.B. all have Va and Perique, yet all have distinctive profile.
I smoke TwoTimer and Rowland for a burley taste, and also use those as blending components.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
D&R uses premium tobaccos for their blends, and I stocked a number of their blends. VIP is a very tasty semi-aromatic VaPer that flies under the radar, and is worth trying.
Here's a link to my reviews:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-revised-dampr-blends-reviews

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the information fellas.

Looking forward to trying these.

Jim I didn't see the VIP blend on P&C s website maybe they are waiting on a resupply.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 for Ryback. The shag cut takes some getting used to, but as others have said, a tight pack/ball works best for me. Burns like tinder, but for those quick hits it certainly delivers. I've also gotten great results by mixing 50/50 Ryback with cube cut flakes that need a little more oompf.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Only 1 I ever tried was cockstrong. It was OK-able to smoke all I bought. But, didn't like it well enough to order it again.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Lawmax: P&C doesn't sell it for some reason. Smoking Pipes does, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.