PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowfan

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I recently discovered a RYO tobacco called Ryback from Daughters & Ryan. It is a dark fire cured, shag cut tobacco with a hearty does of smoke and spice. It's almost a Dutch style tobacco. The smell of the tobacco reminds me of bacon. There is no casing in the tobacco (from the mouth of Mark Ryan) and it is very strong. However when I smoke it I am pretty disappointed because the smell is drastically different than the flavor.
I've also tried blending it with various other tobaccos including burley, Virginias, and perique - with disappointing results.
However I cannot get over the exquisite smell of the tobacco. Any suggestions on blending it?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I recently discovered a RYO tobacco called Ryback from Daughters & Ryan.
If you believe your discovery to be "RYO" cigarette tobacco, why are you trying to blend it with pipe tobacco?
Or maybe you are just attempting to start a flame war...humm...

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
From what I see and read about D&R's "pipe" tobacco it does not appear to in reality be that but merely relabeled and re-marketed RYO blends. With a wink & a nudge almost all RYO tobacco manufacturers have relabeled their blends and slightly amended their cuts to sidle out from under grotesquely punitive taxes slapped on by the leg breakers at the FDA. Understandable perhaps but this approach is now threatening to cause long time pipe blend manufacturers, and by extension pipe smokers, no end of grief as the feds have not been fooled for a second and are still keen to get on with their goal of crushing the entire practice of rolling one's own cigs out of existence. Eventually pre-2008 pipe blends may be grandfathered in but that would leave a lot of wonderful more recently created product out in the cold.

yellowfan

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I know that the D&R tobacco is really pipe tobacco. I will be talking with Mark Ryan either tomorrow or Tuesday for a myriad of reasons relating to my job as a tobacconist in a tobacco store. Mark Ryan is a master at his craft and one of the most underrated blenders in the world (in my opinion). Alas, no one has tried to help me out.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have actually used Ryback some years ago and although it seemed like a quality RYO offering I never had the least inclination to put it into a pipe. If the current Ryback is in fact an actual pipe blend they they may be using the same name for a different blend. If not then it would be rather a challenge to successfully smoke in a pipe. Some may even love it. There's certainly no accounting for taste after all. Somehow Middleton still sells tons of Cherry Blend to its fans but it makes me want to heave.

yellowfan

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I did have some luck blending Ryback with some cube cut burley, via a suggestion from a reviewer @ pipesandcigar.com (http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72691/daughters-ryan-ryback-bags-bulk/)

Status
Not open for further replies.