PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Greetings,
Recently, I ordered 6oz of Daughters and Ryan Three Sails to sample before buying a large quantity. I was disappointed in the flavor of the tobacco. Does anyone know if this type of tobacco can be mixed with something that has flavor? I know that Three Sails is non-aromatic, but it burned HOT and FAST.
I don't want to throw it out, so I thought I would ask everyone.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Well, a little strong flavored aromatic, like Dark Red, will certainly give a flavor boost. Or maybe try something less flavorful, but distinct, like PS LTF.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Try hydrating it. I find it works much better that way. Also, use a moderate puffing cadence.

Jan 8, 2013
Well it's a straight virginia which tend to burn hot as it is. You could always add some black cavendish to it, which would cool and slow down the burn. You could also try a narrower bowl perhaps, or packing a bit tighter.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thank you so much for the ideas. I certainly appreciate it.
@anthony, what brand of cavendish would you recommend? Something that is 100% black cavendish?
@panamacharlie --Dark red as in Lane Dark Red?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
:worship: JimInks has spoken
I would add though the need to fiddle a bit with many good blends in order to get the most out of them.

First you bought the 6 ounces as a sample, so treat them that way. On the first bowl you were disappointed with the flavor. This is more likely to be you than the blend. It's not that all blends are going to be to your liking, rather it is now your challenge to draw the best flavor out of that blend. Consider, what you had eaten, the moisture level of the tobacco, the pack and your cadence. Have you been smoking a lot of Lat lately?
There are many factors involved, and it is usually worthwhile to fiddle a bit with a blend before you toss it.

I think each new blend I try, I will play with it a bit, to find the best way to pull as much flavor as possible out of a blend. Hydrating it certainly a smart move. A guy had mentioned a while back, actually blowing through the packed pipe in reverse to use your breath to add a little moisture to the tobacco. And, there's those clay disks.

For me, I've found with these D&R Virginia blends that I prefer them in a little wider pipe bowl than I usually use for Virginias. And, I'll pack it way beyond tight, tighter than I would normally use for a tobacco that has moisture to it. Moisture tends to make the tobacco expand with the combustion. But, these D&R blends tend to actually loosen up a tad while smoking. So, it benefits for a tight packing, for me.

But, of you're not a crunchy dry tobacco smoker, it may take more getting use to the dryer smoke. So, maybe play around with packing. Try a few things. YMMV.

Jan 8, 2013
@anthony, what brand of cavendish would you recommend? Something that is 100% black cavendish?
I would go for Lane BCA. Panamacharlie suggested Lane Dark Red, which I believe is the same as Lane BCA but with cherry flavoring. I personally haven't tried Dark Red, but BCA is my go to Black Cavendish.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Butsiethesungo:
Next time, why don't you throttle back and buy an oz. or 2 oz. package before you pick up a third of a pound?
If problems arise, which they did, you're not left with holding on to so much of a blend that sucks ass for you.
Trust me, pard. You're going to be happier in the long run.
Fnord

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
+1 to Cosmics post. I suspect a tighter pack and a wee bit of hydration may lead to a more flavorsome smoke. What I do for a quick hydrate is simply cover with my hand an unlit bowl and blow in to it at normal strength for the length of a full exhale. You should be able to feel the change in the tobacco immediately. It's remarkable, really, how much a single breath can alter the tobacco.
If all else fails there's always rolling papers.

I meant to mention that my one beef with D&R blends is that they don't last me very long. Three Sails, Picayune, or the Rimboches, I tend to smoke them bowl after bowl after bowl, till the tin or bag is empty. I feel that this is a Quality Control issue. They just make them too darn tasty. the ingrates. :puffy:

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. As mentioned by several members, I will definitely try:
1. Rehydrating the tobacco

2. Mixing it with another blend, preferably BCA
Thanks guys for all the helpful advise

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
D and R is often said to be RYO, that opinion is not shared by everyone though.
Even if it is RYO, it's certainly better quality than most of the RYO sold in 16oz bags at your local discount smoke shop.

This is all tobacco hand picked and sourced by Mark Ryan, who has the philosophy that he can sell you more tobacco by not selling you all the water. But, as a contributor to the radioshow, the forums here occasionally, and having had the pleasure to talk to him in person, he is a top notch businessman who makes a topnotch pipe tobacco.
The dryness lends itself well also to cig rollers. Keep in mind that cigarettes started by guys twisting a smoke out of their pipe tobacco when they didn't have time for a whole bowl. So, D&R fits into this historical realm also.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've said this before, and very recently so, that the majority of D&R blends do not double as RYO. This myth is partly perpetuated by the packaging and cut of some of the blends. Three Sails in particular is designed to do double duty, and I like it in a pipe. So do many others. If you like them, you like them. If you don't, you don't. Quality tobacco at a good price... I'm in.
At the OP: glad you found the suggestions helpful. Don't forget to smoke moderately rather than fast. This will always hold true for thin cut tobaccos, no matter who the maker is.

Jim, the RYO shop in my town sells D&R on the shelves with the rest of the RYO stuff. I can see where folks might get this impression if they've ever been to an RYO shop. The industrial rolling machines that they use will cut the pipe tobacco further into cigarette tobacco, and it is these slimy places that has been a part of why the FDA is causing us so much trouble. But yeh, Mark Ryan must be marketing the bags to RYO places as well. Money is money.
By RYO they don't necessarily mean blends like Drum, Bugler, or Kite.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cosmic: Yes, I am aware of all of that, and that does hurt the perception of what these blends can be. That's why I try to change the notion some have of D&R, because they most certainly are not like the ones you mention, including companies like OHM, Red Cherokee, American Spirit, etc. I think Mark has to sell where he can, and if people want to use some of his blends as RYO, then it's more sales for him, and you have to sell your product to stay in business.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A lot of blends could be used as RYO, but these are not solely intended for that. I, however, have never been a fan of them. I don't doubt their quality, there are many blends that aren't for me. Play around with it or trade it with someone who wants it. As a side note, many D&R blends do roll a fantastic cigarette, intended or not, should one decide they want a good tasting cancer stick.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I was initially disappointed with some D&R, but the stuff was so inexpensive that I figured I had nothing to lose. It was initially very dry and not very interesting. But I rehydrated some of it and cellared it for a few months. I just pulled it back out this week, and it's better--quite a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.