PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyhound

Lurker
Jul 30, 2017
Just got this Barling's pipe and am wondering seeing if anyone can helpe date it.
On the bottom of the pipe it says "Barling's" in an arch of block letters. Under that, it says MAKE, and under that it says YE OLDE WOOD 352 B. To the right it says EXEXEL MADE IN ENGLAND T.V.F.

finally under that it says "Fossil" in quotes and script. On the stem BARLING is written twice as a cross.
Sorry there's no pictures. I don't know owe how to attach them since this is my first post. Thanks.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
No expert but it sounds to me like transition piece. The reasoning is Barling's instead of Barlings Make but the other nomenclature is family era. Assuming I am correct, 1962-1965 is my guess. It's a nice pipe IMHO.

Mike S.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I guess I am sort of an expert so I'll tell you that it is a Family Era piece, made between 1947 and 1962. Look on the underside of the stem and see if there is anything stamped there. If it has a REG'd number then the pipe was made between 1947 and 1950. If it says Barling Design in script it dates between 1950 and 1962.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
No see, I thought only Guieni (butchered spelling apology) Grains has script during the family era. It's only 807 AM and I learned something! At least I knew it was a nice pipe.

Mike S.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Mike, it's the Fossil mark that is in script. :wink: And yes, the Barling's on Guinea Grain pipes is also in script during the family era.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
When I read "Dating my Barling's pipe" I was thinking diner and a movie, but I see now that you meant something entirely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.