PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Lurker
Sep 29, 2015
The hypothetical subject of this exercise is a Peterson pipe I'd like to date. In the absence of COM markings and with faux hallmarks, the only markings left are Peterson System #x, say System 4 or System 3. Pipedia and the Peterson dating guide do not explicitly state that those system designations were only used in the pre-republic period, but the only references I could find for them were confirmed pre-republic pipes. Are they enough by themselves to confirm pre-republic dating?
Discuss.
No, seriously, input from Peterson connoisseurs would be most welcome.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Al is absolutely right, dating a Peterson to a particular year without a silver mount can be near impossible. Without hallmarks you can get clues as to date ranges by using COM styles / text (if there is one) and what type of font style is used in various stampings, shape numbers, etc.
As a general rule (and to answer your question) the grading numbers are seen from around 1920's through the end of the 1940's I believe, so yes there is a high likely hood that a pipe with a grade number is pre-republic - exact science? Umm, no, not with a Peterson. You see the grading numbers both inside a circle and sometimes on their own without the circle. While I would not bet on it, my feeling is the number in a circle is the older of the two styles.
For what it's worth, COM stamps were rare prior to 1920, but you sometimes see pipes without a COM right up to present day - call it factory errors or whatever, it's just another Peterson quirk.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Also note that those grading numbers also appeared on patent pipes as well, but those certainly would be identifiable as patent era, not pre-republic era pipes.

paulie

Lurker
Sep 29, 2015
Thank you all very much for your answers. I should've been more precise with my question. While finding out a year range as precisely as possible is interesting, I'm most interested simply in establishing whether such pipes are pre-republic. My takeaway from your comments is that (barring some mishap at the factory) they are.
On a sidenote, do any of the commemorative pipes made in the modern era emulating pre-republic pipes ever have the same style of COM markings, eg block/circle Made in Ireland?
-p

Status
Not open for further replies.