PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sorry, as I believe this subject was brought up once before but I can’t seem to find it. Would it really be that difficult for manufactures to place the date on a tin of tobacco? There are quite a few that do so with the month and year clearly stated, but others... nothing. Then, there are those that give a six digit number which is relatively easy to discern as to the date, albeit I would like some clarification as to how they are read from those more experienced. Some have absolutely nothing on the back of the tin whereas some, as far as I can discern, have nothing more than the SKU number, unless I’m missing something with those numbers. Bottom line... seeing that others can give the date (mm/yy) what is the excuse for others not doing the same and just what is so difficult in doing so?

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Good point. I like that Mac Baren does this. Dunhill is a little cryptic. I"m not sure of any others

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I got this relatively confirmed/agreed upon guide to STG tins from I believe Puff or some other pipe tobacco forum:
Scandinavian Tobacco Group

The code is as follows. yyhhmmmmdd. Year, hour, month, minute, day.
Example: 1110082010 is 2011, 10 am, August, 20 minutes past, 10th. day of August.

Reactions: milk

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
You can get nothing from the SKU, nothing to do with dating and everything to do with product tracking/inventory.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You can get nothing from the SKU, nothing to do with dating and everything to do with product tracking/inventory.
Yes, I figured as much and it is used more often than not for scanning purposes. However, the question still remains about the lack of dating when others take the simple time of doing so.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, your in the same club as a lot of us. Welcome to the party, pull up a chair. It seems kind of dumb not to date the damn things.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
If I'm not mistaken, it should be noted that on the STG tins, the number you're looking to decode is the one that's perpendicular to the UPS code. Usually in a smaller font.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well, from the manufacturer's point of view - why should they date it? Or, more appropriately, why change an existing process that works for them?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@Jud, true enough ... but it isn't like you need to create an entirely new department to handle adding a date/date code to the tin label. I get why some may not ("That's the way it's always been," "We never have," or "We save money by printing premade labels without dates.")

From a marketing standpoint, in a world where there are a unique few Americans that want older tins and the rest of the world would prefer fresh tins, it wouldn't benefit these companies to put dates on the tins. We are a tiny few who know this secret about cellaring and aging tobaccos. When I hang out at the Briary's lounge and watch people shopping for tobaccos, most look for the fresher tins. I believe it as Per Jensen who addressed the issue of his tins rusting, saying that most of Europe does not age the tobaccos. But, I believe it is catching on, but it's still not common-knowledge that older is better in the pipe tobacco world. There is one B&M here where the guy, to my dismay, was throwing out all of the old dusty tins to keep his stock fresh. For each one of us on here, there are a thousand pipe smokers who just buy their tobaccos and go home and smoke in front of the TV in solitude.
So, it's up to us to get out there and flush these pipemen out and turn them on to our habits of stockpiling. And, maybe if we get a majority wanting dates, we can twist their arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.