PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I realize that for the most part forum members don't see or meet other forum members, but at the same time I enjoy the camaraderie and communal sociability on this forum knowing that there are other pipe smokers out there in the void. I find that if I don't check in at least a few times during the day and say hello, or great pipe, or that was an awesome score off Ebay; congrats!" I kind of go into Pipe forum withdrawal if I haven't checked in, read a few posts. Well you all know the drill.

Got laid off for the second time. Since June 2013 I've only worked six months. I really thought that last one was going to last but the economy, at least in my industry, crashed and burned huge. I'm a piping designer and do/did 3D design modeling using Intergraph PDS, SmartPlant 3D and CadWorx platforms.

Bummer.
Thanks to everyone here I have come to know over the past few months.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta
Maybe I will have to start designing and making pipes... :(

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I "cook" pipe for a living, heat treatment.Things are slow this year but this industry is feast or famine. Things will pick up, always do. Just got back from Alberta, Sundance power plant. Here's hoping things turn around for you.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I feel your pain. Three weeks ago I quit a decent job to go after something that seemed much better. I have worked 3 days since, and the boss won't return any calls or give me any explanation. I start another new job Sunday night, and pray that I can keep my head above water until my next paycheck.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Being out of work is jarring! My sympathies.
Your last line is interesting. Could your skills and knowledge be adapted into any kind of "work from home" applications? Do you have the self-determination needed to start your own business and sell yourself? Can your skills be be free lanced to publications, writers, etc.? Just musing here but I gotta bet someone, somewhere needs your skills and will pay for them. If adaptable to the internet you might not need to relocate.
If you are like many of our members and smoke for relaxation, load a bowl, sit back and reflect on where your skills else your skills and experience might be needed.
Good luck!

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I feel for ya. I'm in the same boat. 2 months this year I've worked. Hope all works out for you.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.
I'm looking at different ideas and trying to think out of the box.

I'm going to do as Warren suggested, load a bowl, sit back and contemplate.
My motto is,"Adapt, improvise, overcome."
It will change.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thank God I've never been out of work during my pre-retirement years; but I can imagine it's pretty depressing.

Stay optimistic. You've got a lot of friends here sending good vibes and best wishes.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Bugger! Crazy days here in AB. Heard an interview on the CBC that Irving Shipyards had a job fair in Fort Mac earlier this week. Recruiting skilled trades and professionals for +25 years of work building Canada's next generation of naval vessels in Halifax. Don't know if your skill set translates in that direction Chris but an interesting opportunity in a great city. Something will turn up man. Keep the faith... and keep a bowl burning.
Steven in YYC

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sorry to hear you got laid off. Hopefully it won't last too long and you will be back to work soon. Best of luck to you. :puffy:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks for all the good wishes.

Gambit I hope things turn around for you soon as well man.

Steven, thanks for the information. I'm going to look into that and see if I can find some information.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It may not hurt to look at Irving Oil as well.They have the largest refinery in Canada here in New Brunswick. There was talk of a second one but it was put on hold. They are also looking at an expansion to accept oil from the pipeline bringing in oil from Alberta.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Sorry to hear this Chris.

Hopefully it won't last too long and you will find something else.

Chin up and ever forward !!!
Mark

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
You bet Mark!

Steven, I applied for two positions. One with Irving Shipyard and another with Fleetways Inc. and I will have a look at Irving Oil as well.
thanks for the FYI! :)

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
My sympathies, man!
There are so many people in this world who do not want to work. I really hate to hear about someone with useful skills being (even temporarily) out of a job!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hang in there, take stock of your skills, and look at how they could apply to other occupations. I've been laid off over 250 times. That's the nature of the industry in which I ply my craft. It's completely project based. And from what I've been reading, this kind of scenario will be increasingly adopted by other industries in place of any long term employment.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Sounds like you should consider a career in politics. How long has it been since we built a new refinery? Pass the legislation,and return to the daily grind of point click click point pee click.

Status
Not open for further replies.