PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Well, went fishing with my wife and youngest daughter this evening. I decided that it might fun to fish and smoke so I took along and old beater pipe I have. The problem was that after I would cast my line and grab my pipe to get it lit, and just as the flame began to lick the tobacco, a gosh darn trout would start asking for my attention. Well they got my attention; however, in the end I got even with them because after putting ten of them on the stringer I sat for an hour just looking at the lake and smoking away. Maybe, just maybe I will have to burn a bowl as I grill them up tomorrow

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Buy yourself a cob for fishing. If you drop it in the water it will float."
Thereby suggesting a briar would sink then? Am not too sure about that myself.
Regards,
Jay.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
"Buy yourself a cob for fishing. If you drop it in the water it will float."
Thereby suggesting a briar would sink then? Am not too sure about that myself
Only if it weighs the same as a duck...

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
and just as the flame began to lick the tobacco, a gosh darn trout would start asking for my attention.
It's a fact that trout have a poor sense of timing. :lol:
Happy Grilling.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
If the trout I catch are to small to fillet I'll brine them and put them in the smoker. Might as well have a smoked trout appetizer while smoking a bowl.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
What a peaceful evening specially I like that part"sat for an hour just looking at the lake and smoking away.".

Fresh air will a make good taste of pipe smoking.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
To be honest, I have never float tested a briar pipe. I have known old pipe smokers who have lost a good pipe over the side when fishing or sailing though. One was a old charter captain who said he would much rather lose a cob by dropping it in the water than lose one of his briars.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Fishing cleanes the mind. I remember going to Marsh Island a game preserve that allowed fishing that was off Vermilion Bay. It had numerous small canals that held brackish water meant Trout, Redfish, Flounder. I would twist and turn the curvy little sleues and drive up the marsh bank, cast out off of stern , put 2 rods on out in rod holders, and light up. Winds were usually soft and gentle, the golden marsh grass would sway and underlate like straw waves. That and a smoke kept my sanity together , sometimes herds of Deer would softly glide by while soft clouds rolled by. The icing on the cake was big Redfish, sliced in half and cooked scale side down on BBQ pit drenched in Lemon butter sauce spilling some on coals to make a pungent smoke roll over the slabs. Damn I miss that.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Brad, speaking of sanity it's rained cats and dogs here lately. Haven't been able to fish any of the rivers for a week. I'm getting squirrely .
Being out there in nature is as good for me as the actual fishing part. It's good to reel in every now and then and just soak it all in.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Pappymac, to be honest you shouldn't need to float test briar, common sense should tell you it would float. I believe the only wood known not to float is lignum vitae. As to whether it has ever been used in pipemaking I know not but would very much doubt it.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depends on the ratio of stem to stummel and the density of both. I will experiment, as I am happy with cleaning chambers with water.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Go for it John and please do show your results. Presumably you are not so 'Bodmin' to take this test in the ocean or local lake or river :wink:
Regards,
Jay.
I may be crazy, but I am not stupid! Any tests performed will be in the confines of my kitchen sink, in a rubber tub in case one sinks so fast it'd crack on the porcelain of the sink bottom. :) If you care to send me a dozen of your restos, I will test them for a period of two years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"If you care to send me a dozen of your restos[refurbs], I will test them for a period of two years."
And I am Bodmin enough to do that?
Be sure to wear safety glasses and protective gloves whilst carrying out the test, I know what you Americans are like when it comes to law suits :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.