PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
OK - yep, it's a maintenance night - so the questions pop up. Here's a photo of 2 natural pipes that I absolutely love. Both are darkening on the stem side, I think it's because of the way I hold them, with the stem higher than the bowl. The rising smoke tends to ride up that side of the bowl. It's not lighting, I'm super careful in that. Should I just forget about it? Or is there a maintenance trick I need to learn? If I rub them with a damp finger tip it lightens, but this is about as good as it gets. The rhodesian has had a trial of holding the pipe differently trying to darken the outside edges a litttle.

0Y0IORF.jpg

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Do nothing. I also love natural-stained pipes and adore the “blemishes” that, to me, stick out more than other finishes.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Should I just forget about it?

Yes, please. But I am biased. Keep calm and smoke on. Let that patina develop. own it. Love it. Be happy you have a virgin briar pipe to grow old with share in the aging process. I love that Sh___T. Let the rim darken and laugh out loud every time you pick that beauty out of the collection.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I always fill my pipes to the brim..... but I also use saliva pre-light and then occassionally use saliva on the rim during smoking.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'll be the first to tell you that I'm a junky for natural/unfinished pipes. I love the way they take on color over time, including on the rim.
In general, I'm not someone who wants things I own to look brand new forever. I try to take very good care of things I own (pipes included), but signs of use are part of the fun of owning things you intend to keep for many years. My trusty dive watch has many a small ding, and is noticeably faded on the face versus a new model, but I love looking at it and remembering the salt water in various dive spots, or hitting it on the side of a slot canyon in Utah, etc.
I guess what I'm getting at in my usual long-winded way is that something like a darkened rim or an uneven patina is more of a badge of honor than one of neglect, at least in my book. This is far different than having a pipe that's overflowing with lava or with a chewed-through stem.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo alex - another home remedy is to use tea. I use a very weak solution - tea in general would have less potential for staining than coffee. In cleaning up kitchen grease, tarry stains and such it is amazing how much impact a paper towel dampened with a little weak tea has.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the darkening on the brim/rim is a bit of char. Nothing wrong with that. The saliva trick usually works. On unfinished or natural pipes, the coloration on the bowl and shank happens slowly and requires no encouragement other than polishing the pipe with a cloth after each smoke which seems to even out the process and get the shine going. Several of mine have advanced to a deep glowing walnut look. After a few years, it really looks like stain, but with a greater glow and depth it seems.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I would forget about it.

Everything I have that is used, worn or torn, like my wife SAYS "Has character"

The more mine are smoked the better they look.

Nov 21, 2016
Ah yes...the change of An unsmoked pipe to the place when a pipe is used for its sole purpose, to burn tobacco for fun and enjoyment .

The only way I’ve found to minimize the rim darkening is a bit less tobacco in the bowl and watch the flame as you light.

Seems that they all patina over time in different places from use and time.

The more blonde they are to start, the more the grain seems to pop as the age too.

Status
Not open for further replies.