PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I've been smoking some McClelland's Blackwoods Flake recently, after letting the tin sit open for a month, and I'm loving it. The only thing that keeps it from being pretty much perfect is the very low nic levels. So... any suggestions for something semi-comparable but stronger? I love the combination of the dark-stoved and the red Virginias, but would be up for trying something with some condiment tobaccos in there, too. Are McC the only ones who do the dark-stoved? I believe they're the ones who produce the Butera blends, too, right? Is the Butera dark-stoved any stronger?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It sounds like you want a measure of Dark Fired in your mix to bump up the punch a bit. I can't think of a blend with stoved Virginias and Kentucky off hand though.
Mike S.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You would need to venture into the lands of Gawith and Hoggarth for stronger blends. Their Dark Fired Unscented is to die for. Alternately, you could pick up some rope tobacco or 5 Brothers and add sparingly to the McClelland, it will ramp up the strength for you and a little goes a long way.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for the tips everyone. It seems like having some DFK or 5 Brothers on hand would be a good idea in general, but would I run the risk of overpowering the Virginias, in this case?
@Saint007, BBF is definitely on my list. Now you've got me wondering, is steaming basically the same thing as stoving, just by another name? I've noticed that European-made tobaccos don't seem to use the term "stoved."
Also just saw that Two Friends' Redwood is primarily stoved and red VAs with some perique and unflavored cavendish thrown in. Anyone tried it? Sounds good to me. I figure just being produced by C&D probably means it's at least a few notches higher in the strength department than the McClelland blends.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
-pipesinperu - a little goes a long way with the 5 Bros or rope. I would start out with 5 Bros first because it is more neutral tasting. Both can overpower the taste of the Blackwoods Flake so start small and work your way up. You can also try these before mixing, so you know what their flavors are like before mixing. If you go with the rope, go with Brown #4 first. Brown Bogie is also a good choice, its rope but its already been sliced.
If you can find it, St. James Flake by Samuel Gawith is really good. Its more strength than than Blackwoods and is simply excellent, probably the best VAPER out there, imo.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Plus one on the St James. In my limited experience its become a firm favorite.
Although I haven't smoked it (yet), I believe Petersons Irish Flake packs a nicotine loaded left hook!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Gawith & Hoggarth's Dark Flake Unscented is fantastic stuff, and i would HIGHLY recommend it. I just re-upped on it after suffering without it for a week or two, lol. Give it a try, but be careful as it has a pretty high nic content, and that is coming from someone who can all day smoke ODF and Irish Flake. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Full Virginia Flake is lightly stoved, isn't it? That's got pretty middling nicotine levels, but I'm sure it's higher than anything in the McClelland catalogue.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
@escioe Just cracked my first tin and was wondering about that. Certainly looks and smells like it. Guess I'll know as soon as I smoke some! I may have been misleading with my thread title, because a middling nicotine level would be fine. I'm no fiend, but I do enjoy a decent nic hit, and the Blackwoods seems almost like they found some proprietary process to take out all the nicotine. I've heard McClelland's blends are like that.
Back to the FVF, it seems that there are many European-made blends that use some sort of maturing/stoving process but don't really advertise it. Any other suggestions containing mostly Virginias? I'm a bit burley'd out at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.