PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It occurred to me whilst smoking my second bowl of G&H Dark Rich Honeydew that the flavor was somehow familiar and then it hit me - CONDOR. There was just something I couldn't quite place and all of a sudden I made the connection.
Haven't had Condor for quite some time, and it was never something easily obtained (unfortunately, since I did enjoy it) so maybe I'm just imagining it, but to my palate at least there is a resemblance, albeit DRH is more subtle and not as obvious.
Anyone else had this experience?
I've also heard that G&H Westmorland Slices are quite similar, and I would like to try that someday, but again ... not available in the US.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It's a new blend to me, but I got a 1/2 pound recently from SPC and really enjoy it. Figured I would from the reviews and experience with other G&H offerings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Put ten pounds of that one in the closet a few years ago as it is my favorite lakeland, but never got Condor from it.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Embers, will it ghost a briar? I've been smoking it in the pipes normally used for general G&H blends - not the strongest ones though. Not concerned if it does, just curious.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I suppose that's where it all concentrates as you smoke the bowl down.
With most of the Lakelands the Kendal essence really makes itself known in the first 1/4 of the bowl if not the first few puffs. Seems like the middle of the smoke is where the tobacco really shines through. Guess it wouldn't surprise me that all the condensed scenting winds up in the bottom of the chamber and lingers there in the cake / briar.
This blend is rapidly making it onto my favorites list along with Kendal Flake and Brown Flake Scented. Just darker, richer and stronger. This cut is the easiest to keep lit of everything I've tried from G&H except for Dark Birdseye. Haven't tried any of their golden Kendal offerings yet though. I understand they are easy to keep lit due to the shag cuts as well.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
For the life of me I can't figure how they get honeydew out of this blend.
I smell something like rich maple or molasses from the tin, maybe even something like rum, but the actual taste is dark and has that Lakeland scent that translates into what you would expect for taste, and I even find something that reminds me of Condor in a roundabout way.
But melon? Nope. Not in the tin note or the taste.
Maybe the smoke reminds somebody of a honeydew melon? Don't know, since I can't smell it and the wife won't smoke a bowl for me to examine the room note - she's uncooperative like that sometimes.
Either the folks who named this are smoking / smelling / eating different honeydew melons than I am or one of us is powerful confused about something.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I believe they, like Arthur Conan Doyle, are using the literary definition of the word, not the melon:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/honeydew
honeydew

NOUN
1mass noun A sweet, sticky substance excreted by aphids and often deposited on leaves and stems.
1.1literary An ideally sweet substance.
2A melon of a variety with smooth pale skin and sweet green flesh.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Ah, that makes more sense.
The United States and Great Britain, two countries separated by a common language.
Thank you for that! Now I can stop wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.