PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocolaw

Lurker
Aug 12, 2018
I’m sure this topic has been covered and my search skills just aren’t up to snuff; but I’m looking for a daily smoker that is really full flavored, dark, earthy, smoky, and fulfilling. I don’t get to smoke a lot, 1-2 bowls per day (if I’m lucky), and have tried the following: store brand (close to 1Q, it turns out), ESP (I think), 1Q, EMP, 965, MacBerend Scottish, Nightcap, and C&D Bayou Night. The latter 2 fit best, but still searching. I’m told that a couple of the Esoteric blends and the Frog Morton’s would be great, but aren’t available. I drink strong coffee and tea black, and apparently like my tobacco similarly dark, as nothing remotely “light” or “aro” even appeals to me. I know there are literally thousands to try, but do you have any advice to at least shortcut the sampling? I’m not disappointed by the latter 2 blends, necessarily; but if there is something MORE to try, I’d like to give it a whirl and save buying a million samples.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Dark Birdseye, Dark Plug, Dark Flake, Brown Irish, Black Irish, Brown Bogie . . .
You seem to be wanting something more in the world of Star of the East though. Great blend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From what you wrote, it sounds like you favor English/Balkan and Scottish blends. You might like Mac Baren Scottish Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee and Black Mallory, H&H Black house, Balkan Sasieni, and I would suggest that you check out the GL Pease English blends.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Revor Plug but depending on your location it may be difficult to get.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Semois.
bct0j7P.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think of C&D Big 'n Burly as 'earthy', not dark, but I think the nicotine would help you overlook this requisite.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I would second Neal's recommendation for Greg Pease's Gaslight. Very dark, earthy, with that sort of "pleasant creosote" note in the finish.
CW

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lasttango with Semois has a good idea; I love the stuff, if you like burley; this is a variant. C&D Bayou Night might be pleasing, or C&D Stratfordshire. C&D Billy Budd with cigar leaf, and the original Old Joe Krantz might strike your fancy. Maybe Peterson 3-P's. There are quite a few blends in this category, a whole genre, so you just have to find your heart's content by trying around, or developing a whole rotation. I think all the posted suggestions are on target, just depending on your tastes. I don't think aromatics are going to scratch this particular itch.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I like Revor, but warn the gent that it's bathed in Geranium and Rose.
:D Yeah, quite right. There is something funky going on with it, I admit. Although, I have never really worked out exactly what it is. All I know is that most people hate the smell of it when I smoke it and that just proves what I have been saying for years and that's most people have something wrong with them.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I like a strong, dark and earthy tobacco. Here are a few of my favorites:
Irish Flake

Gawith & Hoggarth Black Twist

Old Dark Fired

Old Joe Krantz

Gaslight

Revor Plug
I hope this is helpful.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
Good suggestion just above. I too like dark, earthy tobaccos. The 2 that fit well for me is C&D Engine 99 or Pirate Kake for a latakia blend, and MacB HH Old Dark Fired for a dark fired Kentucky/ Va blend. These are my personal favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.