Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I had said a little while back that I was wanting to get into some Virginias and Vapers again and here are some thoughts on my current search: I have tried Escudo which I like very, very much. I would probably rank it as the top Vaper that I have tried or at least the one that I like the most. I have tried Orlik Gold Sliced in the past and enjoyed it as well even though I had a newb understanding of pipe smoking at the time. I am also currently working out a trade to try some Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and just got some Villiger After Dinner which I am really looking forward to. I have come to find that Cornell and Diehl and MacBaren Virginias just dont seem to agree with my taste buds, and Ive tried a couple of Hearth and Home Vapers that didnt cause me mouth scorch but they didnt really have much flavor to me either. I dont have much experience with McClelland Virginias but their Wilderness was a big hit with me. Based on the above, are there any other Virginia blends/vapers that I should try that arent in the American market? I have heard things about some Wessex and Fribourg and Treyer blends that are supposed to be good, and I know Sam Gawith makes great Virginias but they are almost impossible to get hold of.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
SG Golden Glow can be had regularly

its in stock now http://pipesandcigars.com/sagagogltin5.html

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
F&T makes extremely good tobacco, IMHO. Cut Virginia Plug is way up on my short list,

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage are both very tasty flakes. You can buy all the SG Best Brown flake for 8.95 a tin at jrcigars.com, they hardly ever run out.
Others I recommend are Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and Brown va Flake and Gold va Flake. Astley's no 44 Dark Flake and John Aylesbury Luxury flake are very tasty. For a fantastic Vaper Solani 633 is right up there with my beloved Escudo. Their Silver flake is also very nice.
I am a huge smoker of Danish and German flakes and find for my tastes they are the best on the market along with the SG flakes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I agree about the 100 gram Solani tins, those need to be jarred on arrival, but I have not had any issue with the 50 gram ones. Is there something I should be worried about or looking for with those? I have been buying tons of the 50 gram 633's, when I buy at least 5, I would have to buy 10 of the 100 grams to match the price. I would much rather age in the tin if possible.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I gotcha. As soon as I crack a Solani 633 it goes in my plastic storage container which keeps it fresh for a couple of months. The 633 however never lasts more than 3 weeks as I smoke it up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.