Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Hello,
I went to reorder my favourite MOB brown plug only to find out the Danish pipe shop won’t ship tobacco anymore. Anyone else stuck without their go to blends? This sucks.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Disappointing news. I ordered some of the harder to find Sam Gawith blends from Danish Pipe Shop. I'm sure more sellers will follow suit within and outside of the US.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
There is a much bigger story here. Actually, the Danish Pipe Shop has recently had issues with the credit card companies. It is no fault of their own. In fact, up until just last week they were not able to ship pipes, accessories, or tobacco at all via standard credit card. You had to have a Diners Card or bank order. It was a real bitch. Thanks to Nikolaj and his hard work he was able to finally get the credit card companies to allow purchase and shipment of pipes and accessories. Tobacco is now considered by Visa and MasterCard and American Express to be a no no.
I Give huge credit to the Danish Pipe Shop for fighting this stupid miss regulation and abuse of power. Congrats to them. In fact I ordered a pipe last week and It arrived quickly as usual.
Unfortunately, I fear this is the first shot across the bow by the big credit card companies. They have decided on their own, without a law being paseed, that tobacco should not be purchased by their institutions. This fight has been won, but there will probably be more in the future.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
By the way, Diners Card is the only card that does not internally regulate tobacco purchases. I am currently in the process of getting a Diners Card now, on principle. You all might want to consider doing the same.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I buy tobacco with AMX, Visa, MC & PayPal.

Had a Diners 50 yrs ago but not in the last 40.

Don;t understand!

Like I don't understand why some small businesses still don't take AMX.

Years back AMX charged merchants 1 or 1.5% more than Visa or MC, they lowered the gap.

You gonna turn away business because of a 1/2 or 1% ? Not me.

PS.. Happy to see Diners still in business, see it accepted in places.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@instymp, please don't misunderstand the issue here. IN NO WAY is the Danish Pipe Shop choosing to change their business model or pick and choose online payment methods.
The big card companies hammered them with internal bulls--t tobacco regulation. They are all choosing to make it very difficult for Joe Citizen to buy "tobacco" with their card. The issue at hand was fought hard and WE as a pipe community need to applaud The Danish Pipe Shop's efforts. It is wonderful that they can do business with the U.S. and other countries again using any and all forms of payment. We almost lost a brother in arms and an icon in the industry. The big card companies are going to keep at this and we will see this occur again, maybe even here on home turf in the not so distant future. The issue with Diner's Card is that they have chosen not to internally regulate tobacco sales. I applaud them for that, it's no one's business how we spend our money.
On a side note, personal companies (not the government) are getting pissy. Last week I had a pitched battle with a Fed Ex courier service over a pipe I had shipped from the EU. They were borderline abusive in the volume of data requested. Not just, "hey what is this", but more like, "how dare you import a tobacco accessory", followed by, "please bend over and answer all of our stupid questions", like, "what is briar, what year, country of origin, any stain, and if so please provide documentation."

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
NPOD.. so I guess I am a tad dense, If the credit card companies want to stop tobacco sales in the world, which the credit cards are, why would they pick on one shop in Denmark? A country which I have been several times, have family there & love?

Just wouldn't want to live there.

There is more to the story than credit card company's.

Regarding FedEx, UPS or USPS... they all deliver pipes, tobacco to my door regularly, in FL & NC.

You reading stuff on the internet I ain't I guess.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Credit card companies are the new moral police I guess. I remember years ago a certain “site” within Brazzers was deemed inappropriate in the eyes of visa so their card couldn’t be used there anymore and Brazzers eventually ended that “site”. Sounds like round two is starting, this time their eyes are on tobacco.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
There is more to the story than credit card company's.

That is true. And I am only aware of this issue in a peripheral manner. I was in Copenhagen the week this issue started and it was a big deal. I was involved in the conversations, but I have no skin in the game per se. Just an avid collector.
I will stand by and hopefully someone from the industry can chime in and correct me where necessary. But I do know the issue is broader than it appears. My goal here was to provide back up for The Danish Pipe Shop since they have worked hard to overcome the problem. They are the good guys here.

Dec 24, 2012
Rather than speculating as to the motivation, you could just read the note the Danish Pipe Shop put out a few days ago and take it at face value. See my link above.
That said, I hate to ruin a good conspiracy thread. I personally think H.Y.D.R.A. is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.